PM Assistant Teacher - Mixed Age Kindergarten Licensed Facility
Job Title: PM Assistant Teacher - Mixed Age Kindergarten Licensed Facility
Job Classification: Non-exempt, hourly, part-time
Summary: The PM Assistant Teacher participates in all aspects of the classroom work, including preparing for classroom activities and the supervision of children during regular p.m. class hours, rest time supervision of independent play, snack prep, housekeeping and handwork support and duties, helping the children to clean and tidy the classroom, and child observation.
Assistant Teachers participate in regular mentoring with EC Faculty and attend the first hour of faculty meetings when available.
Reports to: This position reports to the Lead Teacher Duties/responsibilities: Follow the Waldorf Curriculum as directed by the Class Teacher, which may include but is not limited to the following:
- ● Share in the care of the children under the Class Teacher’s direction.
- ● Supervise children during regular p.m. class hours and rest time
- ● Supervise independent play
- ● Prep snack items for the following day
- ● Maintain food lists for Lead Assistant
- ● Housekeeping
- ● Handwork support and duties
- ● Help the children clean and tidy the classroom
- ● Attend EC faculty mentoring for the last hour when applicable
- ● Attend first hour of Faculty Meetings when applicable
- Ability to hold the rhythm of the afternoon when asked to sub
- Familiarity with a kitchen and ability to follow recipes
- Organizational skills
- Professionalism, including ability to keep adult conversations away from the children and personal phones put away while working
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Able to follow lead of teacher
Desired Skills/abilities: Food preparation for a large group of children
Required Education and experience: 6 core units of early childhood education and enrollment in at least two semester units at a college until fully qualified with 12 core units of coursework in early childhood education or child development; at least one course must be in each of the following: Child, family, community, or child/family relations programs or curriculum Child/human growth and development
Experience working with children Assistant Teacher must pass, FBI and Child Abuse Reference Check (CAIC ) Fingerprinting clearance through Live Scan
Desired Education and experience: Waldorf Early Childhood Training Background in Anthroposophy
Physical requirements: The physical abilities described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear, is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, use hands and fingers, and is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 50 lbs. Close vision is required for detailed work. The required work will take place outside and in a classroom and will frequently be noisy. Working may require exposure to bacterial contamination.
Time, weeks/year: This position runs the duration of the school year, (end of August through mid-June), excluding seasonal breaks and holidays, Monday through Thursday 1:30- 5:30 pm / Friday 12:00-5:30 , 15-22 hours per week including time for mentoring.
Compensation and Benefits Base wage $16.50 - $ 18.00 per hour Possible 50% remission