Young Authors Camp Lead Instructor
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Title: Young Authors Camp Lead Instructor
Pay Rate: $28 per hour
Reports to: Summer Camp Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
When Needed: Summer 2022 (July–August)
FTE: Hourly, 30–40 hrs/wk
Seattle Waldorf School is seeking an enthusiastic, engaging, and compassionate writer, author, actor, and/or bookmaker to function as our Young Authors Camp Lead Instructor five days per week, 8:15 a.m.–3:15 p.m., from July 11 through August 5, 2022. The Young Authors Lead will guide a group of students in grades 4–6 in exploring their inner author/actor/bookmaker.
We are looking for someone who can work effectively as part of a team and independently. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching, who is interested in collaborative and creative approaches, and who is passionate about teaching. We are looking for staff who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for quality
Campers will take some time to slow down and explore their inner world of story and creativity this summer. Activities will include storytelling, book binding, drawing, zines, and improv acting. Campers will learn the basics of bookmaking, the power of narrative, and the joys of character creation. By the end, each camper will have created a variety of books and stories to share with their communities or even publish some day! Programming will take place at the Seattle Waldorf School Meadowbrook campus, indoors and outdoors.
Who We Are:
At Seattle Waldorf School, students become creative problem-solvers—imaginative thinkers who journey toward intellectual excellence, human compassion, and artistic skill. Our modern curriculum is rooted in tradition—for children 18 months to 18 years. We lead students on a joyful journey that fosters critical thinking, synthesis, and creativity. We are privileged to employ some of the most highly trained Waldorf teachers in the country. Founded in Seattle in 1980, we are the only preschool through grade 12 Waldorf school in Washington. At Seattle Waldorf School we are committed to creating a community that is inclusive for all faculty, staff, families, and students, especially those who have been impacted by racism and oppression, and to create a culture that supports racial equity and gender inclusion by changing our existing systems and practices.
Our Mission: Daily we strive to inspire learning, courage, and joy in the developing human being.
Job Summary: Under minimal supervision, provides an optimal camp experience for students in grades 4–6.
● Plans, leads, and supervises the camp in collaboration with program assistants and summer staff.
● Collaboratively plans daily camp activities with other program leaders, fellow instructors, and the Camp Director
● Effectively leads a safe and enthusiastic summer program
● With direction from a supervisor, maintains consistent schedule for campers
● Participates in and facilitates supervision as needed during camp start and end times
● Leads children by example and adheres to school policies
● Provides and maintains a warm and positive environment while establishing and managing school rules and regulations
● Observes student behavior and implements appropriate behavior management techniques
● Cares for and protects the safety of the students and is versed in emergency and disaster procedures
● Appropriately identifies and responds to any emergency
● Understands and communicates COVID-19 health and safety protocols to students, staff, and parents/caregivers, and ensures compliance
● Accepts guidance and supervision
● Performs other duties as assigned
Preferred Education & Experience:
● Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university in your subject area and two years of related
experience and/or training, or equivalent experience
● Waldorf training preferred
● Current CPR and First Aid certification required*
*A CPR and First Aid course will be offered at no charge in June for all camp employees who need the training and are available to attend on the date offered.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
● Four years of experience as a lead teacher or afterschool lead or four years of experience working with young children and an academic understanding of child and youth engagement and development
● Experience with creative writing, bookmaking, and acting
● Understanding of, and experience with, Social-Emotional Learning and Behavior Management Strategies
● Understanding of or interest in Waldorf education
● Commitment to excellence in teaching, self-development, and collegial cooperation
● Strong organizational skills
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to work in a hands-on team environment
● Possessing a level of cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an inclusive and equitable community
o We have a diverse student body, and we want all our teachers to have the skills necessary to ensure that their classrooms are safe, inclusive places for everyone
o We seek a teacher who is aware of the racial, socio-economic, gender, and other inequities present in education, and actively work to eliminate these in the classroom
● Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows or Mac environment using Office, Google Suite, common automated systems for record-keeping, and confidently learn new technology
● Ability to maintain confidential information
● Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
● Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
● Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor
● Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
● Ability to work outside in all weather
If that sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
To Apply: Interested candidates should respond immediately by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a letter of interest, resume, and employment application, available on the school website at http://www.seattlewaldorf.org/careers/.
Thank you for your interest in Seattle Waldorf School and our Extracurricular Programs. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Your application has been successfully submitted.