Music Teacher 2022/2023 School Year
Music Teacher (contract)
2022/2023 School Year
Halton Waldorf School is seeking a Music Teacher for the 2022/2023 school year. This position is for the period of August 2022 to June 2023.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree and formal experience teaching elementary and secondary school students in a Waldorf environment.
Responsibilities include teaching approximately 15 classes per week for grades 3 through 8. The music teacher is responsible for chorus and recorder instruction with the goal of developing a strong choral and musical experience for our students. Music is an integral part of the Waldorf curriculum. Classes are designed to support the overall student’s development and encourage a love of music.
- Plan and teach music/chorus/recorder lessons
- Ensure appropriate student behaviour during class through use of firm expectations
- Work with students with a variety of learning styles and different levels of skill and ability
- Order, manage and maintain music supplies and work within budgeted funds
- Complete administrative tasks (assessments including report cards) in a timely manner
- Attend school meetings and events including parent and grandparent festivals
- Seek and attend professional development opportunities and conferences as appropriate
The successful candidate will enthusiastically engage students in grades 3 through 8 and will work collaboratively with faculty and administration to create an educational environment that is aligned with the school mission and program goals.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in music
- Experience teaching elementary and secondary students
- Experience conducting chorus and recorder ensemble
- Proficiency with recorders – soprano, alto, tenor, and bass
- Preferred: understand of Waldorf music pedagogy and/or Waldorf teaching experience
- Competence in teaching, classroom management and related responsibilities
- An interest in Anthroposophy / Waldorf Education
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Willingness and proven ability to work within a community environment
The ideal candidate will demonstrate good communication, problem solving, and organizational skills as well as maintaining an overall positive attitude. Additionally, collaboration with the classroom teacher to select appropriate music for the class, and enthusiasm to work with all children, regardless of ability. Those without Waldorf classroom experience are required to attend summer training.
Salary based on experience, and knowledge of Waldorf education.
About Our School:
The Halton Waldorf School provides students with a place to grow intellectually, artistically, and socially. Founded in 1984, we are an independent, accredited Waldorf School serving students and their families from birth to high school. Our high school offers an Ontario Ministry of Education Graduation Diploma which enables University and College entrance along with our Waldorf Diploma in Grade 12.
Every day our faculty and administration serve a vibrant and diverse community of over 200 students and their families. Located on 5 forested acres in northeast Burlington, close to the natural wonders of the Niagara Escarpment and the shores of Lake Ontario. We are committed providing a healthy, beautiful sustainable environment that supports the pedagogical mission of the school.
Criminal Record Check:
The successful candidate must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check that includes a Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing employment.
Commitment to Equity:
The Halton Waldorf School is committed to equitable hiring practices. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Caitlyn Byford, Human Resources and Operations Manager at email@example.com
We appreciate the interest of all applicants but will only be contacting candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.