Upper Valley Waldorf School Development Director – 80%-100% FTE Position
The Upper Valley Waldorf School is welcoming applications for a Development Director with the enthusiasm and drive to cultivate and expand our community culture of giving in support to the school’s mission.
The Upper Valley Waldorf School, located in Quechee, Vermont, is a vibrant community located near the Connecticut River, and nestled between the Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The quiet beauty of the natural environment offers a full range of outdoor activities.
We are a Pre-Kindergarten through Eighth Grade school with a current enrollment of 141 for the 2021-2022 school year. We offer a rich Waldorf curriculum, which includes French, woodwork, handwork, movement, instrumental music, and chorus. Our school holds a dual accreditation with AWSNA/NEASC. It is an exciting time to join the UVWS faculty!
Overview of the Position (full job description available upon request):
The key accountabilities of this position are to oversee, implement and strategize all aspects of development for the school, including annual campaigns, donor relations, and grant writing, in close collaboration with the Administrative Director and Development Committee.
Fundraising and donor relations
• Plan and implement short- and long-term fundraising strategies (i.e., Annual Campaign, Tuition Assistance Fund, Capital Campaign, Planned Giving Program, etc)
• Develop a donor prospect base and extended community constituencies
• Effectively communicate the vision and mission of the Upper Valley Waldorf School
• Identify, cultivate, and solicit prospective individual and institutional donors (such as charitable and community foundations) through mail, phone, events, marketing/communications activities (i.e., newsletters, mailings, public and media and social media, etc), and face-to-face meetings.
• Engage and solicit existing individual and institutional donors (such as charitable and community foundations) through mail and phone communication, events, marketing/communications activities (i.e., newsletters, mailings, public and media relations) and in face-to-face meetings.
• Recommend and implement initiatives to increase donor retention and acquisition.
• Prepare fundraising materials, including solicitation and acknowledgment letters, annual reports, funding proposals, and stewardship reports.
• Work closely with other staff and volunteers in the realm of development by contributing to school newsletter, print and other media (i.e. radio) advertisements, press releases, etc.
• Works to identify specific needs of the school that might qualify for grant or restricted funding.
• Coordinates and manages volunteer projects.
• Implement a fundraising and institutional advancement strategic plan including campaign goals
• Develop and manage the development budget
• Manage receipts of revenue and donor acknowledgments according to GAAP and subject to external auditor review in close cooperation with Finance Director
• Maintain fundraising/donor database (BigSIS)
• Prepare reports as needed for Board and colleagues
• Keep relevant statistics on all aspects of the development program in accordance with annual reporting (DASL)
• Meeting attendance: Admin, Faculty, Board and Community Council as needed
Preferred position requirements
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and life experience
• Three to five years fund-raising experience
• Exceptional interpersonal, time management, planning, and organizational skills
• Knowledge of development terminology and processes
• Familiarity with database management and maintenance (Big SIS) preferred
• Ability to work as a team member
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong commitment to confidentiality
• Excellent interpersonal skills to interact with a wide range of constituencies – Board, Parent, wider Community both Waldorf and non-Waldorf
• Willingness to undertake occasional travel, occasional night/weekend meetings
Position Structure, Salary and Benefits
Fulltime Salary (2021-22): Base $41,081 plus applicable experience. Full benefits package includes a generous Health Insurance plan, tuition remission (prorated based on % FTE), Professional Development support, Short- & Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, T. Rowe Retirement Plan, and access to Dental & Vision Insurance and a Flexible Savings Account.
Candidates interested in applying for the Development Position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references (with contact information) by email or mail to:
Leadership Council: Hiring
ATTN: Brian Wolff, Administrative Director
Upper Valley Waldorf School
P.O. Box 709
Quechee, VT 05059
Phone: 802-296-2496 x301
The Upper Valley Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.