special ed teacher
Special Education Teacher
Job Purpose Statement: As a member of the faculty at Desert Marigold School, a special education
teacher will collaborate in shaping the elementary and middle school program that aligns with the
Public Waldorf curriculum to prepare our students to meet the realities of the present.
Salary Range: $32,500 Base Salary (BA) plus increments for relative teaching experience and
additional degrees and certifications. See Salary Schedule for details.
Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours per week during the academic school year
Reports to: Director of Student Support Services
● Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education required
● Teaching experience in classroom/group settings
● Waldorf Teaching Certificate preferred
● Willingness to incorporate Waldorf principles of child development into teaching
● AZ DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card
Essential Job Functions:
● Demonstrates knowledge of the developmental curriculum and teaching methods
arising from the understanding of child development set forth by Rudolf Steiner.
● Develops performance objectives and lesson plans that meet Arizona Career and
College Ready Standards (ACCRS) that also reflect the rhythm, timing and activities
consistent with the core principles of Public Waldorf education.
● Maintains a behavioral climate in his or her classroom conducive to learning, assists in
maintaining acceptable student behavior, and cultivates an atmosphere that
● Identifies and attempts to meet needs of individual students, is able to develop
differentiated lesson plans, and initiates referrals to student support services as
● Communicates with students and parents regarding the educational and progress.
Prepares progress reports and issues grades on time.
● Maintains plans and instructional materials in such a way that they can be utilized by
substitute teaching personnel when the need arises.
● Works cooperatively with administrators, supervisors and colleagues in planning and
implementing the educational programs of the school. Is able to take initiative in a
● Attends faculty meetings, required in-service training and other meetings as
● Able to meet Arizona’s Standards for highly qualified teacher in the subject area being
Experience Requirements: Prior classroom teaching and administrative experience required.
Skills, Knowledge, and/or Abilities Required:
● Exemplary classroom management and discipline.
● Strong fiscal and administrative responsibilities, listening, verbal, written and
● Knowledge of Waldorf education and public school operations.
● Relate to, motivate, and challenge children. Leadership in working with
students, staff, parents and the community. Commitment to the concept of
collaborative decision making.
● Ability to collaborate with other faculty on curriculum
*required bachelors degree in special ed.
Your application has been successfully submitted.