Job description: The Emerson Waldorf School, located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina is seeking a part-time College Advisor. The College Advisor is responsible for educating and counseling high school students and families about the college search, application, and decision process, as well as providing full administrative support to students in applying to colleges or other post-high school learning options. The Advisor also works with the school registrar to manage records and maintain accurate transcripts for Emerson students.
This is a salaried 50% of full-time, year round position.
The school counselor will report directly to the EWS Director of Pedagogy and Administration. This position would begin in the 2021-2022 school year.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent research, communication and organizational skills
- Attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working with high school students, preferably in a counseling setting
- Familiarity with college/higher education options and application process
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
In addition, we prefer the following:
- Understanding of Waldorf education
- Experience with BigSis student information management system
Primary responsibilities include:
- Counsel approximately fourteen students starting their junior year to assist with college research, self-assessment, and application process.
- Assist families with college advising questions, scholarship research, and exploring alternatives to higher education.
- Support students with college advising platforms such as Scoir, Common App, and Coalition App.
- Schedule college visits and build relationships with admissions officers.
- Participate in professional development opportunities to learn more about higher education, GAP year, and other post-graduation possibilities.
- Represent Emerson at TISSCA meetings.
- Schedule, coordinate, and oversee PSAT and Iowa testing for grades 9-11, once per year.
- Work with the high school leadership team to oversee student learning plans.
- Work with the high school leadership team to keep the high school profile current and up to date.
- Oversee high school transcripts, and work to translate the unique Waldorf transcript to universities and post-college opportunities for graduates.
- Work with students and families to assist with transfer students, and students who are earning credit from semester abroad programs.
- Work with the high school coordinator to organize student volunteer opportunities.
- Attend 50% of faculty meetings, held during the school day.
If you would like to join our exceptional faculty, please email a resume and cover letter, and three references to Dana Nicholson at email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.