Assisstant Kindergarten Teacher
Are you enthusiastic about deepening the connection between humans and nature?
Do you thrive outdoors?
The Asheville Waldorf School is seeking an Assistant Kindergarten teacher for the 2022/2023 school year. Join our vibrant, growing community nestled in the mountains of Western North Carolina. The Asheville Waldorf School is 12 years old. It is a member of the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America (WECAN) and an associate member of the Association of the Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), serving children from Parent-Child classes through to Eighth grade.
The Early Childhood Kindergarten Assistant’s primary focus is to support the Lead Nursery teacher in their work and help maintain the class environment while caring for the children. The assistant helps to create a warm supportive atmosphere, prepare meals, and care for the physical space of the classroom, consistent with Waldorf Early Childhood Education methods and practices.
- Hours: Arrive at school by 8:15am; leave by 2:30
- Show up prepared to assist
- Embody the shared principles of the school
- Follow AWS’s written policies and uphold agreements made with school administration
- Care for the physical space of the school
- Supervise and care for children
- Maintain order among students
- Complete required paperwork and tasks in a timely manner
- Prepare and maintain the physical classroom and materials
- Follow plan the of the lead teacher
- Communicate with Lead teacher and parents about student concerns
- Conduct oneself in a mindful manner, worthy of imitation
- Tend to the tasks of cleaning, tidying and beautifying the room
- Be familiar with classroom setup and daily rhythm
- Prepare the morning snack
- Ensure needed food items are ordered/purchased according to established structures
- Take a turn in the shopping rotation as needed
- After the school day ends, ensure classroom is clean and ready for the next day
- Help with daily preparation and implementation of classroom activities
- Take care of children needing comfort and first aid
- Assist children while in the bathroom
- Tend children who need one-on-one attention while lead teacher holds group
- Guide children in domestic tasks such as chopping, cleaning, baking, etc.
- Arrange for substitute teacher in case of absence
- Step into the lead position when the lead teacher is absent
- Maintain current CPR and First Aid certification
- Help with beginning of year tasks: setting up classroom, class playdates, etc.
- Check in with lead teacher over the summer (early July: phone or in-person)
- Deep clean/pack up classroom/outdoor space at end of school year
Skills, knowledge, and experience required:
- Waldorf experience preferred
- High School diploma required; Bachelor degree preferred
- An understanding and commitment to the study of Rudolf Steiner's child development, Waldorf Education, and Anthroposophy
- Warm heart and a pioneering spirit
- The enthusiasm and energy to be involved in the growth of a developing school
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; approachable for students, parents and colleagues
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Must pass criminal background check and child abuse screening prior to employment
Please email: email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.