In January 2023, our small Waldorf homeschool will be transitioning to a Waldorf school serving Pre-k to 4th grade on our beautiful 125-acre campus on the Nicoya Peninsula of Costa Rica. The school intends to grow into programming which will include preschool through high school.
We are looking for an onsite grades teacher to join our small but growing team. This teacher will work collaboratively with the other grades teachers while also having individual freedom within their classroom.
A Grades Teacher’s responsibilities include:
- Developing age-appropriate curriculum for both the indoors and outdoors
- A commitment to each child’s growth through inner work and the practical art of teaching
- Parent education and meetings
- Faculty meetings and school committees involvement
The type of teacher we are looking for:
- Extremely flexible. The need for flexibility cannot be overstated. We are an evolving, developing program that relies on change and adaptation.
- A sense of adventure. We are located in a remote and beautiful location, which requires an ability to adapt to environmental circumstances such as occasional power outages, poor road conditions, and sharing our environment with the creatures of the jungle. Teachers will be well poised for this position should they see these things as a doorway to living more simply and closer to nature rather than perceiving these circumstances as hardships to be overcome.
- Strong cultural competency and confidence working with diverse family backgrounds
- Inspired to be part of a groundbreaking and developing school in a remote and rural environment. We are still very much in the creation phase and are looking for teachers who take initiative to help build on the foundation of the school.
- Previous experience in a grades teaching environment, either as a lead or long-time assistant.
- Ability and desire to collaborate with other teachers.
- Confident in Waldorf curriculum and anthroposophy, enough to create a curriculum rather than simply following one from the past that may not serve the students’ needs for today.
- If new to Waldorf, then must come with a willingness to do continuing education in Waldorf curriculum.
- Speaks Spanish fluently, preferred but not required.
We look forward to hearing from all interested teachers from around the world.
Competitive salary, benefits, housing, and immigration support available.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of your application, we may schedule a phone call with a member of our Hiring Committee.
Your application has been successfully submitted.