College and Career Planning Counselor
Sacramento Waldorf School seeks a knowledgeable and compassionate full-time College and Career Counselor committed to adolescent well-being to begin in the 2022-2023 school year.
The College and Career Counselor focuses on student counseling regarding college and career preparation and facilitating standardized testing in middle and high school.
Our 22-acre school is located on our unique and historic land on the banks of the American River in Fair Oaks, CA. It encompasses a 2.5-acre farm, lower school facilities, high school classrooms, several community spaces, athletic fields, and sprawling grounds.
The mission of Sacramento Waldorf School is to provide education that honors the developmental stages of childhood, builds confidence, connection and purpose, and prepares students to realize their full potential as free human beings.
Sacramento Waldorf School supports a campus environment that is welcoming, inclusive, and increasingly diverse. Priority will be given to candidates with experience in diverse, multi-cultural, and inclusive settings, as we collaborate to support an effective, inclusive workplace and learning environment. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply, and we commit to interviewing candidates representing communities that have traditionally been underrepresented in the nonprofit and education sectors.
The focus of the College and Career Counselor role is to ensure the students are supported in their academic aspirations and health, maintaining an open-door policy where students and parents can reach out to discuss educational goals in a safe and confidential manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the main career and college preparation liaison to support students, which includes being a resource and connector for students, parents, teachers, administrators, and external resources
- Teaches Career and College Planning Classes
- Plan and organize Senior Career Exploration Week
- Reports and gathers, and maintains statistics for SWS alums on colleges they attend and career fields they pursuit
- Systems maintenance in Veracross, Scoir, and College Board • Create and facilitate programming for parents and students (e.g., parent meetings, college application workshops, Mock Admissions workshops, Financial Aid workshops) • Advise students on college applications • Write highly personalized letters of recommendation Assisting the registrar with maintaining and verifying high school records • Facilitating college visits to Sacramento Waldorf School • Participating in professional development: NACAC, WACAC, BAISCC, and others
- Schedule individual student appointments as needed
- Facilitate and/or plan all yearly standardized testing activities for middle school and high school
- Responsible for outreach activities such as college fairs and financial aid seminars
- Communicates with students and faculty regarding deadlines that impact career and college goals, such as letters of recommendation, testing dates, etc.
- Meets with Student Support Committee as needed
- Other duties as assigned
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below represent the required knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education – A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in a related field such as psychology, counseling, or social science.
Experience – Experience and expertise that align with our college and career counseling program. Experience with college applications (Common app and UC app). Teaching experience preferred.
Language Skills – Fluency in verbal and written English. Ability to write clear correspondence to accurately communicate details that are, at times, complex and sensitive.
Ethical Standards – Demonstrated professional and personal commitment to high ethical standards, confidentiality, and discretion. Working understanding of FERPA, FAFSA, and California A-G requirements.
Organizational Skills – Strong time management skills. Ability to track tasks and effectively follow up on multi-step processes to ensure completion. Outstanding attention to detail, including the ability to proof work to ensure accuracy.
Interpersonal and Cross-Cultural Competencies – Demonstrated ability to work with adolescents to build trust and credibility. Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Respect for diversity of identities and experiences, an orientation toward equity and inclusion, and cultural competency in all aspects of school life.
Computer Skills – To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs, emphasizing Word, Excel, and Outlook. Training will be provided for Veracross (student information management system).
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Note: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Employee will be exposed to outside weather conditions at times. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 lbs. This position is expected to work on campus.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. Sacramento Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a competitive wage contingent on experience and qualifications.
Sacramento Waldorf School does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, or any protected class. We recognize that the range of ethnicities, nationalities, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, learning differences, and life experiences within our community enhance the school's learning environment, and we are committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please learn more about our Commitment to Anti-racism and Anti-oppression here: https://sacwaldorf.org/about-sws/diversity-and-inclusion/
To apply, please visit the SWS Employment Opportunities page here: https://sacwaldorf.org/about-sws/employment/
Please complete an application, and submit a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Creating a love of learning, a depth of understanding, and a strong sense of self.