Early Childhood Assistant
Early Childhood Assistant
Come work at Portland Waldorf School! We are welcoming applications for a part-time Early Childhood Assistant in the 2023-24 school year. This position is an integral part of the school’s Early Childhood Program which offers a secure, healthy, and nurturing environment for children with weekly and seasonal rhythms that include circle time, storytelling, creative and active play, and nourishment.
Join our community of Waldorf Educators. We are a school of teachers who love their craft and are enthusiastic about engaging students. We love working together. We are committed to working collaboratively with colleagues and the parent community to create an educational environment aligned with Waldorf pedagogy, our school mission, and program goals. We value self- development, educational equity and inclusion. We seek peers who have a willingness to participate in ongoing work related to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Candidates who are dedicated to Waldorf education, working out of Anthroposophy, and possess a love of teaching are encouraged to apply. Does this seem like a good fit for you?
● Support Teacher in day-to-day activities of class, engaging groups of children and individuals in painting, coloring, tidying, helping children get dressed, washing, tending to the classroom. Supporting children through social interactions during indoor and outdoor play. Washing dishes, preparing snacks, stocking supplies. General cleaning and tending of the classroom, including sweeping, vacuuming, dusting.
● Licensed with Oregon Central Background Registry.
● Loving interest in the care and education of young children.
● Interest in learning about and commitment to teaching out of the foundations of Waldorf Early Childhood Education.
● Ability to engage with children, take direction from a Lead Teacher regarding classroom management, conflict resolution, communication, and day to day responsibilities.
● Good communication skills, reliable, punctual, well-organized, and efficient.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
● Waldorf Teacher Training or Lifeways Training (completed or in progress)
● Understanding of or experience in Waldorf Early Childhood education
● At least one year experience working with children in a group setting
Portland Waldorf School was founded in 1982 and is fully accredited through AWSNA. We serve over 300 students from early childhood through grade twelve on a beautiful seven-acre campus. We offer a full Waldorf curriculum, including eurythmy, handwork, instrumental and choral music, blacksmithing and woodworking, drama, Spanish, Mandarin, games/movement, middle and high school athletics and a high school foreign exchange program.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position with an hourly pay rate of $18.00. Work hours are Monday through Wednesday (8:00am-1:30pm) on school days. Availability to work on occasional evenings and weekends for childcare during parent meetings, to substitute during afternoon hours, and to work/substitute during school break camps preferred. Benefits offered include paid sick time per Oregon Paid Sick Time law. Please send a brief one-page biography/letter of interest, resume, and three professional references, including phone numbers and e-mail addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Portland Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, or any protected class. We acknowledge that a diversity of ethnicities, nationalities, socioeconomic backgrounds, gender expressions, sexual orientations, learning differences, and life experiences within our community enhance our school’s learning environment, and we are committed to cultivating equity and inclusion. We are seeking individuals who are committed to self-development, educational equity and inclusion, and have a willingness to participate in ongoing work related to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice. People of color and others underrepresented in our community are encouraged to apply.
PORTLAND WALDORF SCHOOL
Inspiring a life-long love for learning