Middle School Boys Basketball Head Coach
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Job Title: Middle School Boys Basketball Head Coach
Reports to: Athletic Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: September 2023
Mentor middle school boys grades 6-8 in basketball with the explicit intention of striving to win while pursuing the more-important goal of teaching life lessons.
Middle School Basketball Season Dates: October 23 through December 15, 2023
- The team will average three events per week between practices and games.
- During the regular season, the team typically practices once per week and plays two games divided between home and away.
- Practices are 90 minutes in length and begin as early as 3:15pm and as late as 5pm.
- Middle school games are generally scheduled on the same day as the middle school girls basketball games and typically begin as early as 4pm and as late as 6pm.
- Shining Mountain is part of the 5280 League and competes with similar sized private middle and high schools in and around the Denver metro area and will require travel to and from those schools as the schedule dictates.
Note: The Middle School Boys Basketball Coach will have the option to coach the Middle School Boys Basketball summer camp for additional pay outside of the in-season coaching term.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Honor the Shining Mountain Waldorf School Coaching Code of Ethics and practice the principles of a Double-Goal Coach (orientation and training provided).
- Teaching of the fundamental skills and tactics in ways that are developmentally appropriate and fun.
- Practice planning, set up and preparation and post practice clean up and close down.
- Game strategy and substitution planning and in-game team management.
- Co-host pre-season parent meetings and postseason recognition banquets with the Athletic Director.
- Support the Athletic Director with team related administrative duties when needed.
- Clear, effective, and timely communication with the Athletic Director regarding team related logistics, student-athlete concerns, parent relations, and all other team related matters.
- Ability to successfully perform the physical requirements of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Values in alignment with the Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA) and the principles of Double-Goal Coaching,
- Basketball specific knowledge including but not limited to the rules, tactics, foundational skills, and teaching progressions.
- Previous experience coaching or teaching adolescents and/or pre-teens.
- Youth basketball coaching experience preferred.
- A desire to be a One in A Million coach.
- Passionate about sharing your love of basketball with the Shining Mountain student-athletes and community.
- Willing and able to to work with athletes with a wide range of experience, abilities and skills.
- Able to find creative ways to make learning and playing basketball fun.
- Able to quickly and easily develop rapport with student-athletes and parents and nurture positive relationships.
Required Trainings (provided and paid for by SMWS)
- CPR/First Aid/AED training
- Concussion awareness training
- Positive Coaching Alliance Double-Goal Coach training
- School bus training when applicable
- $1,000 stipend for the season
- Opportunities to earn bonuses for consecutive years coaching, assuming additional responsibilities, and coaching the summer basketball Camp.
- Professional development stipend to support your growth as a coach.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.