Business Office Manager
Business Office Manager
The Business Office Manager is an integral part of the School’s senior leadership team and is responsible for both the financial operations and financial resources of the school. This position works closely with school leadership and reports to the School Administrator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary duties and responsibilities of the position include:
• Directing the School’s financial operations, including supervision of all Business Office staff • Ensuring appropriate internal controls for the safeguarding of assets
• Protecting confidential information and ensuring accurate and timely financial reporting. • Overseeing school business functions, including: tuition billing and collection, accounts payable, contracting, payroll, human resources, accounting and reporting, regulatory reporting and compliance, and other business administration activities.
• Developing the School’s annual operating budget, adhering to parameters specified by the Finance Committee and Board and working with faculty and administrative leadership to create a mission-driven financial plan.
• Modelling annual Tuition adjustments and increases for review and approval by the Finance Committee and the Board
• Managing the school’s insurance and overseeing risk management, including cyber-security. • Participating in independent school association events and regular professional development opportunities to stay abreast of best practices. Serving on the Financial Assistance Committee and the Leadership Teams.
• Work with the Finance Committee and Board of Trustees to achieve the School’s strategic objectives by:
• Meeting regularly with the Finance Committee,
• Attending Board of Trustee meetings,
• Producing regular operating forecast updates for the Finance Committee and Board, to include analysis of actual operating results versus budget, with appropriate variance analysis,
• Establishing financial and capital strategies that are consistent with the strategic priorities of the school,
• Overseeing the administration of the school’s financial assets; executing investment policies; implementing decisions of the Investment Committee; and coordinating with the
investment consultant to ensure allocations are executed properly, and reporting on performance to the Investment Committee and Board of Trustees.
• Directing relationships with outside financial service providers to:
• manage banking and investment,
• complete the renewal of annual employee benefits, including medical insurance, life insurance, and retirement plans including benchmarking against other similar employers, and
• complete the renewal of external resources to research alternatives and manage the renewal of the annual school insurance package.
• Ensuring that human resources policies and practices are clearly articulated, consistently applied, and conform to legal requirements by providing guidance to all levels of management.
• Overseeing all activities required as part of the School’s annual audit, including providing the independent accountants with appropriate schedules, analyses, and documents, as requested, and communicating with the Board Audit Committee regarding the status of the annual audit and the management letter.
• Overseeing the process for annual reporting of operating information in SAIS, for AWSNA, as well as annual reporting and related grant funding, when applicable. • Ensuring that the School maintains compliance with all state and local
requirements within the purview of the Business Office functions.
The successful candidate will possess the following background, skills, and capacities:
• A combination of education background and professional experience equivalent to a master's degree in accounting, business, finance, or a related field.
• Experience should include a solid grounding in fundamental finance and accounting systems and procedures; expertise in forecasting and financial modeling; along with significant depth of experience in financial analysis and reporting.
• At least 5 years of experience in a CFO, Controller or Business Manager role preferred. • Demonstrated leadership qualities, with a capacity to organize and motivate people. • High ethical standards, keen analytical skills, and a detail-oriented work style. • Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience working with external auditors, implementing internal controls, and managing compliance-related issues.
• Advanced Excel skills, prior experience working in a Google environment, and a strong working knowledge of business accounting policies, procedures, practices, and financial software programs.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and work collaboratively with faculty, and staff colleagues, as well as the parent community with diverse backgrounds and execute all duties with demonstrated sensitivity, and an understanding of the diverse Waldorf School of Atlanta community.
Employment status: Full-time (40 hour/week) exempt of overtime pay (salaried position)
● 40 hours/week with occasional evening/weekend meetings
● Meetings (Finance and Executive Board Committees, weekly Administrative, monthly Board of Trustees)
● Other community engagement commitments, as required
Salary and Benefits
● Eligible for benefits
● Hired by the Administrator in consultation with the Board Finance Chair and Executive Committee
● Reports to Administrator, with quarterly reporting to Board of Trustees Executive Committee
● Reviewed by the Administrator
Please send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org.