SunGate Educational Community is a community of parents, children, teachers and friends who work in partnership to support and create a living integration of the Christ Impulse as it manifests through freedom in education, culture and medicine, through brotherhood guided economics, and through healthy learning environments. The community embraces a living relationship of inner spiritual striving to pedagogical practice. SunGate’s arts based homeschool enrichment program emphasizes social learning, experiences in nature, farming and gardening, and therapeutic approaches to child development. The study of Anthroposophy, and the pedagogical approaches of Rudolf Steiner inform the program.
The Intern is a member of SunGate Educational Community, and commits to uphold the values and practices of Anthroposophically informed education to the best of their ability in their work with the children. The intern is guided, and works under the supervision and instruction of the lead teacher. In addition to learning through direct service with the children, the intern is responsible for engaging on a path of learning through mentorship meetings, guided study, and participation in community based workshops, arts experiences and presentations.
Responsibilities of the Intern Include
- Supporting instruction given by the lead teacher by assisting students to participate in the lesson
- Working with individual, and small groups of children on tasks and activities given by the lead teacher
- Organizing, preparing and cleaning classroom materials and spaces
- Providing before care for a small group of children before school
- Providing childcare for staff children during parent teacher conferences and teacher inservice days
- Participating in set up, meal preparation, and clean up for snack and/or lunch
- Hiking and gardening with children
- Participating in Christian Festival Celebrations with children
- Meeting weekly with the lead teacher to prepare for lessons, and discuss study materials
- Attending one adult education workshop or class per month
Current suggested hours for the intern are
Monday 8:30 - 12:30
Tuesday 8:00 - 12:30
Wednesday 8:30 - 12:30
Thursday 8:00 - 12:30
The intern is invited to stay for a family style lunch at 12:30
Required workshops are offered monthly on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:30 at SunGate. Other opportunities are community based, and offered at various times.
Interns receive a monthly stipend to support their living expenses.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to SunGateProgram@gmail.com