[Priority Listing] Administrative Director - Immediate Opening
The Administrative Director (AD) will work collaboratively with the Board, Pedagogical Director, and faculty and staff to manage Maple Village in a manner that supports and guides the school’s mission. They will communicate effectively with the Board and provide in a timely and accurate manner all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Exact title and responsibilities are currently under review, and may depend on the individual strengths of the chosen candidate.
Our ideal colleague will have successful experience in a highly collaborative leadership culture, and will work in a mutually supportive role with our pedagogical leadership. This position reports directly to the Board of Trustees.
Full-time, non-exempt, commensurate with experience and qualifications. MVWS provides a generous benefits package.
Duties and Day-to-Day Responsibilities
- Work collaboratively with the Dean of Education and Faculty
- Establish and maintain employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of Maple Village Waldorf School
- Supervise school administrative staff.
- Review and approve contracts for teachers and services.
- Participate actively in strategic planning and implementation.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various stakeholders and organizations throughout the community (internal and external) and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Maple Village’s mission.
- Work closely with the Board of Trustees to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and outreach.
- Oversee fundraising, community relations, marketing and other communication within and outside the community.
- The successful candidate will also have proven hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting.
- The AD will work collaboratively with the Board and Business Office to establish and execute the Annual Budget.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven diplomatic, empathetic, transparent, and high integrity leadership skills.
- Ability to understand, accept, and promote the cultural values of Maple Village Waldorf School and convey a vision of Maple Village’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration, objectivity, relationship and consensus building as well as conflict resolution.
- Proven skills to guide and support the school through processes of organizational and cultural change.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a timely, well organized, and transparent manner.
- Waldorf Management training is highly desirable.
- Ability to work on a computer, including sitting at a desk, for extended periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
- Manual dexterity to operate a keyboard
- Ability to see or read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Ability to speak clearly and in audible tones on the phone and in person and be understood by others
- Ability to hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to occasionally lift objects weighing up to 10 pounds
MVWS is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace where every staff member feels heard, supported, valued, and can share their authentic brilliance to move the MVWS mission forward. MVWS is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folk who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, parents, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. We are committed to addressing issues of racism and inequity internally and externally.
We are a progressive suburban school housed in a historical church building in the quiet neighborhood of Belmont Heights. Our relationship with Long Beach Parks and Recreation allows us to utilize four parks within walking distance for partial school days. Our school was recently one of six private schools in the country to be named a U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School for environmental sustainability, health and wellness, and STEM. We are located minutes from the beach, 1.5 hours to the desert, 2 hours to the mountains, and 30 minutes from a Waldorf high school. We have a diverse population, and we are focused on equitability and inclusion for people of all religions, races, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and gender identities/expressions. Our Village has a lot of heart, strong parent participation, and is centered on families, community, parent education, collaboration, and mutual respect.
MVWS is an Associate Member of AWSNA and a Developing Member of WECAN.
Our school is in its 16th year and programs include Parent/Baby, Parent/Toddler, 2 Preschools, 2 Kindergartens, and Grades 1 – 8. We have an experienced faculty, strong peer mentoring program, and together we study, listen, counsel, laugh, eat, and celebrate. Our specialty subjects include Handwork, Woodwork, Spanish, Japanese, Games, Strings, Chorus, and Gardening. We also have a strong Early Childhood and Grades Extended Care program.
We invite you to complete our job application on our website (available at https://maplevillagewaldorf.org/career-opportunities/) and submit it, along with a cover letter, resume, and letters of reference to our Board of Trustees at BoardOfTrustees@maplevillageschool.org. Eligible applicants will be contacted for a phone interview, references will be contacted, and qualified applicants will be invited to an interview with our Hiring Committee, followed up with demonstration lessons.
To learn more about our school, please visit our website, Facebook, and Instagram pages at:
We are committed to engaging and nurturing the whole child resulting in a balance of heart, mind, body and spirit. Our work in diversity and inclusion...