Teaching Assistant - High School Math
Job Title: Teaching Assistant – Math
Program: High School
Reports to: High School Director
Date: November 2023
School Year: 2023-2024
Shining Mountain Waldorf High School (SMWHS) is at an exciting point in its 40-year history. We have recently broken ground on a new state-of-the-art high school campus, which is adjacent to the existing lower school campus. As such, our school has been engaged in a revisioning process to launch a unique, contemporary identity that includes several innovative program opportunities.
We are now seeking a knowledgeable, student-centered Teaching Assistant in the high school to work with small groups of students, four afternoons a week. While our lead math teacher is teaching half the class, the teaching assistant will be working with groups of three to five students, reinforcing the concepts already taught by the lead teacher.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School, founded in 1983, is an accredited Pre-K-12 nonprofit independent school located in Boulder, Colorado on the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains. We are recognized for our academic depth, experiential learning, artistic integration, wilderness experiences, and strong athletic program. Our school is about an hour’s drive to Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park. We are close to world-class hiking, skiing, and outdoor recreation. A college town, Boulder is home to the University of Colorado and Naropa University, as well as numerous local organizations that provide a rich variety of arts, lectures, and workshops. Boulder is known for its natural beauty, environmental initiatives, sustainable agriculture, farm-to-table dining, and more than 300 days of sunshine each year.
The Teaching Assistant takes direction from the Lead Teacher. This position supports students in a variety of math subjects, including algebra, geometry, trigonometry, precalculus and beginning calculus. Candidates who bring a record of success in the classroom in their given discipline and an interest in sharing their passions with adolescents are encouraged to apply.
Teaching Assistant Schedule: (during school hours)
- Mondays: 12:45 pm - 3:25 pm
- Tuesdays: 12:45 pm - 2:30 pm
- Wednesdays: 1:40 pm - 3:25 pm
- Fridays: 12:45 pm - 3:25 pm
- Asses students’ current math skills based on the math lessons taught by the lead teacher
- Work with students to help understand key concepts
- Develop teaching strategies that enable the student to better grasp the math concepts
- Help students work through math assignments
Education and Qualifications
- BA in mathematics
- Teaching and/or teaching assistant experience
- Love of adolescents
- Demonstrated teaching capacity in the high school levels of mathematics
- Ability to work well with students and colleagues
- High School classroom environment
Salary, Hours, and Benefits
- This position will be a part time hourly position during the school year (December - June)
- Hourly rate is $30 - $45 per hour based on experience
- Colorado Paid Sick Leave - 1 hour for each 30 hours worked - up to 48 hours per year
- This is a part time position - no additional benefits are offered at this time
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to perform:
- Sitting and standing for class presentations
- Lift 25 pounds, bending, stretching
- Mobility to move about the classroom and walking to buildings throughout our 12 acre campus
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Shining Mountain Waldorf School is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to theirrace, religion, gender, gender identity, disability, familial status, sexual orientation or national or ethnic origin,citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
Interested candidates should send a letter of interest and intent, resume, brief biography, and three references including current employer to email@example.com.