Bring your Waldorf knowledge to our Forest 2nd/3rdGrade
Lakeside School offers a dynamic and innovative Waldorf Elementary Program on a working farm for Grades 1 to 3. We are seeking two Waldorf elementary teachers to teach First Grade and a combined Second and Third Grade. While a strong foundation in Waldorf education is a bedrock of Lakeside’s elementary program, the class teachers will have the flexibility to develop new ways of working with the students both inside the school buildings and on our 213-acres of farm and forest.
Working with each other and a team of part-time Specialty Teachers, the Class Teachers will provide a well-rounded curriculum for two small classes of students. Course subjects include, but are not limited to, Language Arts, Mathematics, Movement and Games, Art, Handwork, Farming, Foreign Language, Music, Nature Studies, and Social Studies. Most essentially, our program strives to develop a strong community spirit, so that students learn to respect each other, themselves, and nature and to work together in a positive way. Our diverse classroom spaces include an Outdoor Classroom covered shelter, play yard, two indoor classrooms, a 70-acre farm with orchards, gardens, and a barn yard. Our programs also have access to and make daily use of an adjacent forest with trails, hills, streams, ponds, waterfalls, and abundant wildlife. Our students play and learn outdoors throughout the seasons.
The elementary students serve as peer leaders to our younger students in our Farm and Forest Kindergarten and Sprouts Day Care programs. While the faculty have strong foundations in Anthroposophy, Waldorf Education, and outdoor education, we continually look at ways to build our programs to meet the needs of the children of the North Country. We work to create a culture of collaboration and initiative.
The Class Teachers’ salaries are based on education and experience, starting at a base of $40,000, and are eligible for 50 percent Tuition Remission for any enrolled children.
• Experience teaching early elementary students in an educational setting.
• Experience teaching in a Waldorf setting.
• Enrolled in or completed Waldorf training in elementary education or willing to commit to training upon hire.
• A Bachelor’s degree or higher.
• A collaborative spirit, strong communication skills, and the ability to work through challenges.
• A respect and love for the outdoors in all seasons and a spirit for adventure.
• Work collaboratively to develop an innovative elementary program.
• Teach out of the Waldorf philosophy; design and implement appropriate instructional lessons for the curriculum you are responsible for delivering. This includes using technologies to deliver instruction remotely, as the community deems appropriate, in the event of a prolonged school closure.
• Oversee the safety of our students, during school hours.
• Communicate daily and weekly with parents regarding important topics as needed as well as writing reports.
• Participate in community festivals, events, and meetings, and one Community Work Day a year.
• Provide 3 to 4 Parent Meetings per year and participate in School Orientation.
• Work collaboratively as part of a faculty, participating in school-wide decision making, through weekly Faculty-Staff meetings and on Faculty committees.
• Represent Lakeside School at periodic Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWNSA) meetings alongside the School Administrator.
• Maintain CPR and First Aid Training.
• Work at school from 8am to 2:30pm, and additional hours as needed for preparation from school or home.
More About the Area
Lakeside School is located in Essex, NY - the heart of the Champlain Valley in the Adirondack Park of northern New York. The central location leads to easy access to Lake Champlain and the High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains. Essex County provides a unique balance between outdoor adventures in the mountains and on Lake Champlain, and progressive farming and artistic communities. Lakeside faculty and staff live in communities within a 45 minute driving range. When a bigger city is desired, Burlington, VT, Plattsburgh, NY, and Montreal as well as two-time Winter Olympics host Lake Placid are within driving distance.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, a brief biographical sketch, and two professional phone references. E-mail Maeve at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (518) 963-7385. Positions open until filled.
Your application has been successfully submitted.