Special Education Lead Teacher
The founding board is seeking an experienced and inspiring Special Education Lead Teacher with a pioneering spirit to help create the very first public Waldorf high school in Southern Arizona. Duties will include: coordinating and leading the school’s founding support services team; working collaboratively with teachers to plan instruction; providing a warm, inclusive learning environment for all special education students; leading professional development opportunities for staff; fostering a growth mindset in students and staff that results in student achievement; collaborating with the Directors to support the school’s mission; and ensuring the school is in compliance with all state and federal requirements for special education services, including writing, implementing, and documenting IEP plans, managing 504 plans, and communicating with parents. As Desert Sage is a new school, flexibility is needed as duties and responsibilities shift and grow.
- Works collaboratively with the Pedagogical Director to develop, deliver and maintain an in-house Special Education program that aligns with the school's mission
- Responsible for providing leadership and administrative skills in promoting the educational development of students in the Special Education Program, including teaching inclusive support classes.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining positive relationships with community groups, individuals and agencies; keeping the district in good standing and compliance with the Special Services Department of the Arizona Department of Education; discussing and assisting to resolve individual student academic and discipline problems; and supporting the overall objectives of the school district
- Supervises any Special Education Department and staff for year 1, together with Director Team
- Responsible for keeping the administration appraised of any and all Special Education compliance needs
- Attends state, regional and county Special Education Directors meetings and reports happenings to the Director Team
- Responsible for budget and all funding applications, reports, census, and monitoring connected with Special Education
- Serves as an Advisor to student groups
- Schedules needed student testing, academic and psychological, with the Guidance Counselor
- Uses excellent leadership skills to create a climate which embraces diverse perspectives and experiences while keeping the school true to Waldorf principles
- Current Arizona Special Education Certificate
- Commits to and represents the values, vision, and mission of Desert Sage School
- Is passionate about bridging opportunity and achievement gaps
- Is passionate about celebrating diversity, embracing equity, and cultivating inclusion
- Leads in a warm, positive, and creative way
- Current Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of 5 years of special education teaching
- Experience writing and managing IEPs and 504 plans
- Work experience in a Waldorf school (or a commitment to enrolling in Waldorf training)
Salary (exempt): $38,000 - $48,000 [based on education and experience] Medical benefits Retirement benefits through the state Paid holidays, sick leave and personal leave
This position begins as a non-exempt part time (up to 20 hours-per-week) position and expands to a full time exempt position before the first day of school. This position requires some evening and weekend working hours.
About the School
Situated in the beautiful Sonoran Desert in the city of Tucson, AZ, Desert Sage School will be the first Public Waldorf high school in Southern AZ and the fifth in the nation. Desert Sage School will serve students who are seeking a holistic, academically rigorous and arts-infused education. DSS will open with 125 students in grades 9 and 10, and grow to 425 students in grades 9 through 12, by year four. With a small town community feel, a thriving arts scene and countless hiking and biking trails, Tucson is a wonderful place to live. It is also home to the University of Arizona.
Please submit a Letter of Intent and Résumé to:
Your application has been successfully submitted.