Director of Communications and Marketing
SUMMARY: The Austin Waldorf School (AWS) seeks a talented and experienced individual for the position Director of Communications and Marketing. The Director of Communications and Marketing works closely with the Head of School, the Board of Trustees, the Director of Admissions, and the Director of Development to develop and implement a broad, comprehensive, and strategic communications and marketing plan designed to promote the Austin Waldorf School more generally and the school’s enrollment and fundraising more specifically.
Founded in 1980 and nestled on 33 acres in the beautiful hill country of central Texas, the Austin Waldorf School provides a unique education to students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. The curriculum is designed to meet each stage of a student’s development from early childhood, through adolescence, into young adulthood. The programs demonstrate a continued commitment to providing a well-rounded educational experience integrating academic, artistic, and practical disciplines. The school’s mission is to “nurture, inspire, and engage, and to enlighten the journey towards a more humane, just, and sustainable future.”
The school is accredited through the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA) and the Independent Schools Association of the Southwest (ISAS). The Austin Waldorf School is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion; we welcome and encourage applicants of any religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender, and national or ethnic origin to apply.
We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, including tuition remission, health insurance, and retirement-savings matching.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute annual marketing and campaign plans that engage internal and external constituents in the support and promotion of the school.
- Identify emerging marketing opportunities, design effective targeting strategies, and report on results.
- Oversee the production of a variety of materials meant to increase the school’s visibility and competitive positioning and enhance the public’s perception of the school.
- Work across all departments, including Athletics and the Arts, to trumpet student activities and successes.
- Collaborate with the Admissions team and the Alumni and Development Office to develop strategies to recruit prospective students and engage committed alumni and families.
- Create and direct a comprehensive publications program (concept, design, content, editorial, and production for paper and electronic communications) that reaches and influences the school’s target audiences.
- Shape and maintain the strategic and creative direction of the school’s website.
- Develop and manage an integrated online presence on social media platforms.
- Develop and manage weekly community announcements.
- Develop and maintain communication standards for the school (timeliness, frequency, methodologies, etc.).
- Cultivate and maintain working relationships between the college and the media as well as other key community organizations; create and maintain an official point of contact for public information.
- Cultivate volunteer efforts in support of communication and marketing goals.
- Supervise professional consultants contracted to address communication and marketing goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned by and in support of the Head of School.
BACKGROUND AND CHARACTERISTICS:
- Experience working in a Waldorf school, an independent school, higher education, education-related field, or not-for-profit environment [experience with or knowledge of Waldorf education will be especially helpful].
- Established background in communications and marketing.
- Experience managing a budget.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative environment and work closely with other members of the leadership team.
- As a member of a lean administrative team, eager and willing to be “hands-on” and support colleagues with their various projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Experience in prioritizing tasks and managing complex, long-term projects.
- Positive attitude, flexible approach, and a sense of humor.
COMMON QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English, journalism, communications, marketing, or similar discipline.
- 7+ years of experience in marketing and communications with independent schools or nonprofit organizations.
- Outstanding organizational and presentation skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to lead and manage effectively, and to inspire a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment with multiple creative projects.
- Creative and artistic vision and direction.
- Experience in desktop publishing design and management of design production.
- Demonstrated experience with photography, videography, website content management and design, and social media marketing.
- Demonstrated success as a confident problem solver.
- Proven track record as an independent and goal-oriented manager with a dedication to meeting deadlines.
TO APPLY, qualified candidates should visit our website – www.austinwaldorf.org to complete the online application, and submit the following:
- Cover letter indicating specific interest in the Director of Communications and Marketing position
- Current resume
- A list of 3-5 references, including at least 2 who have directly supervised the candidate’s work (no contact will be made without candidate approval).
Your application has been successfully submitted.