Farm Summer Camp Registered Nurse
Hawthorne Valley Farm Summer Camp program has an opportunity for a nurse who enjoys working with children ages 8 to 16! Join us at our unique Farm Camps in the heart of the Hudson Valley in Ghent, NY! Come live, learn, and be a “summer mom/dad” to our campers while using your nursing skills. On your down time enjoy all the wonders of nature and animals on our 900-acre Biodynamic Farm! During our camps children experience a working farm and, through active participation, learn practical skills, develop social relationships, and gain a deeper sense of self and relationship to nature. A portion of our campers are from New York City and its boroughs and they have visited the farm before during our school year program and attend Waldorf or private schools. Medical needs in the past have been colds, sprains, homesickness, stomach flu, cramps, poison ivy, small cuts and bruises, etc.
• This position is responsible for the medical needs of 72 campers ages 8 to 16, and 20 staff per session of camp. This includes our day and residential camps
• Ensures compliance with the Columbia County Department of Health camp health regulations
• Dispensing medicines, performing first aid, daily sick calls
• Maintaining all medical records and documentation on campers and staff
• Screening of incoming campers for any health issues
• Liaison to camper parents
• Accompanying campers/staff to doctors when needed
• Provide a nurturing and responsive environment to campers, guests and other staff members.
• Help to ensure the smooth operations of the daily needs of the camp by being flexible and attentive to details.
• Support Camp Director, Camp Managers and counselors with upholding all camp medical protocols
• Support Campers with any behavioral, health, emotional or learning issues
• Registered Nurse with current license in New York State with current CPR/AED certification
• Experience working with children ages 8 to 16 is a plus
• Nurturing personality able to work with all age groups and needs including home sickness.
• A good work ethic with an ability to be flexible, work as a team member with all age groups.
• Strong time management, communication, organizational and record keeping skills.
• Strong assessment skills and some knowledge of homeopathic medicines is a plus
• Ability to live on campus in private room for the 8 week camp season.
• The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
• Age of 21 or older (new nurse graduates are encouraged to apply)
There is a mandatory two week training for camp. The start date of the training is June 12. (This start date is a little flexible for the right candidate.) The dates of the camp are June 26 to August 5, 2022. The salary for the Summer Camp Nurse is $8,000 for the 8 week season which includes a private room and all organic meals. Please note: Our available housing is small and cannot accommodate partners, children or pets.
If you have child, ages 8 to 12, please let us know to determine if there would be availability in one of our camp sessions. Your child would only be able to stay on campus during the duration of the session (1 to 2 weeks, depending on the age of the child).
To apply, please complete this Application Form, send a letter of interest, a current resume and contact information for three work references (preferably employers who have seen you working with children) to Matt Davis, the Director of Children’s Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The interview process is starting now!
For more information please visit: Working With Us - Place-Based Learning Center (hawthornevalley.org)
Your application has been successfully submitted.