Grade One Teacher
Class Teacher (Grade One)
Commencing June 2022
$42,000 to $65,000
Medical, dental, tuition remission for dependents
How to Apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter describing your knowledge of Waldorf Education®, a brief biography, and three references (with contact information) to:
email@example.com , Attn: Hiring Committee.
Please state “Class Teacher” Application in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their submissions; however, we will only contact candidates we feel are the best
suited for this position.
Summary of Duties:
This position is responsible for the compliance and delivery of the Waldorf® grade school curriculum and method. This includes:
● Planning, preparation and implementation of lessons, report cards, and parent evenings
● Planning and coordinating of special events
● Attending faculty, mentoring, and committee meetings
● Participation in ad hoc committees and professional development
● Liaising with the administration, faculty, and parents
Responsibilities and competencies will include, but are not limited to:
Lesson Planning, Creativity, and Delivery:
● Conduct lessons and supervise students on-site and on day and overnight trips
● Create and deliver a program that may also provide snacks, academic assistance, arts and cultural activities that promote inclusion, and health and wellness (e.g. anti-bullying, body image, fostering resilience)
● Utilize knowledge of the Waldorf approach to develop content and lesson planning
● Ensure the safety and well-being of each child by responding to their emotional, social, and physical needs as well as their educational needs
● Manage student behaviour based on Well Managed Schools(™)
● Communicate with the parents and answer parents’ questions or concerns
● Prepare and conduct regular parent evenings and parent-teacher conferences
● Participate in the interview process for prospective students
Leadership, Interpersonal and Relationship Building Skills:
● Collaboratively work with faculty and mentor colleagues based on experience level
● Maintain a positive relationship with parents
● Respect cultural and social differences, and allow for different parenting styles and values
● Keep the relationship between parents and self on a professional level
● Maintain a professional self-image and project the values of the organization at all times
● Prepare and participate in assemblies and festivals
● Participate in school community and public relations events (e.g. open house)
● Participate on school committees
● Participate (and share in cost of) approved annual professional development
● May be required to work in various temperatures within the facility and outdoors
● Generally, the job requires 50% sitting, 5% walking, and 45% standing
● Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, and pull
Qualifications and Skill Required:
● Waldorf Teacher Certificate and/or Bachelor of Education (Ontario)
● Minimum three years paid experience in an accredited primary school
● First Aid and CPR certification is up-to-date or willing to obtain
● Clear Vulnerable Sector Check
● Be flexible and adaptable to new situations
● Ability to use good judgment, self management and effective problem-solving skills
Closing date for applications: March 25, 2022
Interview dates: April 2022
Join Our Community at Waldorf Academy!
Waldorf Academy is a member of the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America® and for over thirty years has built its mission on a spiritual and arts-focused pedagogy which all our teachers study and bring to life in the classrooms.
In pursuit of this mission, Waldorf Academy seeks Waldorf-trained teachers primarily, however, we will consider traditionally trained teachers (B.Ed.) who have made a long-term decision to pursue Waldorf training and a career as a Waldorf teacher.
Annual professional development is an expectation of all practicing teachers at Waldorf Academy. Support includes mentoring, regular job performance evaluations, and financial support for approved training and workshops.
Waldorf Education® recognizes that children have distinct, age-related educational and emotional needs according to their naturally unfolding stages of development. In the grade school, a specially designed comprehensive academic, artistic, cultural, and practical curriculum encourages students to develop into creative, balanced, responsible and free-thinking individuals.
Please find more about Waldorf Academy’s community and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice here: https://waldorfacademy.org/about/diversity-equity-and-inclusion/
Your application has been successfully submitted.