Assistant Early Childhood Teacher
Prairie Moon Waldorf School is in search of a wonderful assistant teacher. Our Early Childhood program consists of two mixed-age classrooms (3 - 6yrs). We are looking for an experienced teacher with KDHE lead teacher qualifications or the ability to work to meet those qualifications. This is a position for the academic year of 2022-2023, and possibly beyond. Daily contact hours when school is in session, 8am–3:30pm, M–F. Compensation is hourly, based on qualifications and experience. Tuition remission commensurate with hours may be available.
• At least 6 months experience working with children in a licensed early childhood setting.
• Lead teacher certification, as required by the KS Department of Health and Environment, per our childcare license. Inquire for more details to learn how you can fulfill this requirement before the start of school in August 2022.
• An openness to the anthroposophical philosophy surrounding child development and education.
• An ability to lift the weight of a child, up to 50 pounds, when required.
• A team player who loves working with children, has a sense of inner calm, and is able to take initiative to facilitate the smooth running of the EC classroom.
• An A.B.,B.S., or CDA in early childhood education
• A commitment to the study of anthroposophy.
• Experience teaching in a Waldorf, Lifeways, or Sophia’s Hearth program.
• Training in Waldorf early-childhood pedagogy through an approved AWSNA or WECAN program, a Lifeways or Sophia’s Hearth program.
• Experience working in a Waldorf early-childhood program.
• Reliable and punctual for all aspects of the job.
• Maintain confidentiality and hold sensitive information with discretion.
• Assist classroom teacher with transitions and other activities of the day including clean-up, outside time, bathroom time, and campus closure.
• Pass along parent questions and child observations to lead teacher.
• Assume responsibilities of the lead teacher, in lead teacher’s absence.
• Help to keep the classroom clean and neat.
• Assist with classroom management in consultation with, and as directed by lead teacher
• Adhere to the code of conduct outlined in the document “Professional Expectations for Faculty and Staff”.
• As a condition of employment, the employee agrees to follow rules, regulations, and policies that have been adopted by the Board of Trustees for the Waldorf Association of Lawrence DBA Prairie Moon Waldorf School.
• Weekly meetings with supervising teacher, while school is in session
• Attend all in-service days
• Attend all-community meetings (one each semester)
Prairie Moon Waldorf School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sexual orientation, religion, or ethnic background in the admission of students or the hiring of personnel.
Please send cover letter, resume, an Employment Application, and three references to: Prairie Moon Waldorf School, Attn: Early Childhood Search Committee 1853 E. 1600 Road Lawrence, KS 66044. For electronic application please email firstname.lastname@example.org or apply on our website.
Lawrence, Kansas is an ideal home to a Waldorf school. Home to the University of Kansas, Haskell Indian Nations University and being near cosmopolitan Kansas City, Lawrence provides a rich, international and multi-cultural life to its residents and visitors with the added benefit of a low cost of living. It has been said that Lawrence is America’s largest city without a shopping mall—a statement that reflects a strong commitment to local businesses and pride in the community’s historic downtown. Several years ago author John Villani identified Lawrence as among the top fifteen best art towns under a population of 100,000, and Lawrence has long been a music center. Several years ago, Lawrence was also identified as one of the top 10 locations to retire. Kansas University has created new centers for biological research, medicine, engineering and technology. The university’s school of education is renowned, with its program in Special Education consistently being ranked first in the nation. Lawrence, Kansas is a growing Waldorf community. Prairie Moon Waldorf School is Kansas’ only Waldorf school. Nearby, a Waldorf initiative in Kansas City has planted its seeds. Our school’s assistant early childhood teacher will come to a small, but growing Anthroposophical community and will have the opportunity to be a pioneer of Waldorf education in the Heartland.
Your application has been successfully submitted.