Assistant Teacher for All-Outdoor Program
Sunfield Waldorf School is pleased to announce the opening of our new Dandelion Class, an all outdoor mixed-aged early childhood program.
Beginning the fall of 2022/23, this mixed-age program encompasses all the fundamentals of a Sunfield Early Childhood Waldorf program (creative free play, learning by imitation, strong rhythms, natural sensory experiences, fine and gross motor movement development, and foundations of literacy and numeracy) while the children are immersed in an all-outdoors setting on our farm and forest. Dressed for the weather, children 3-5 years old will intimately experience the changing seasons and embrace nature with endless wonder and discovery.
We are seeking an Assistant Teacher for our new and exciting Dandelion program.
Sunfield has been on the land for 16 years. We are currently serving 154 children in preschool through 8th grade and expect strong enrollment for the coming school year. Daily, children and teachers work with animals, plants, gardens, compost, walk and play on the land, and steward this magical place. Our dedicated faculty of 18 includes lead teachers, assistants and specialties instructors. Our faculty enjoy a strong colleagueship, deepening their work through Anthroposophy and a connection to the land and farm life. Sunfield maintains a committed and supportive administrative team that participates in the life of the school and farm.
Sunfield Land for Learning encompasses a Waldorf school, Biodynamic farm and community education program. We are located on an 81-acre campus in Jefferson county on the beautiful Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. We are one of few Waldorf schools in the nation that is located on a working farm. Our farm includes a forest, wetland and agricultural fields. Sunfield is nestled between the Olympic mountains and the Puget Sound, just outside of Port Townsend, a vibrant Victorian seaport community. We are two hours away from the bustling city of Seattle and have mountains and ocean in our backyard. Truly a beautiful place to live and work!
Under the direction of the lead teacher, the assistant teacher supports the nurturing and engaging early childhood environment for the student and the families. Primary responsibilities include providing supervision of children at all times; leading small group activities, providing interventions to meet the unique needs of individual children and responding to social-emotional needs of individual children.
* Experience working in an early childhood program with children, ages 3-5
* Have an interest and understanding of Waldorf education philosophy
* Have a love of nature and be willing to explore with the children, particularly in inclement weather
* Demonstrate warmth, compassion and clarity in working with both children and adults
* Work cohesively with the lead teacher to create an environment of warmth, love, and safety for the children
* Communicate clearly, verbally and in writing, to co-workers and parents alike
* Be able to take instruction from the lead to assist in running all aspects of the classroom
* Observe and care for our children’s physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual development and well-being
* Contribute to monthly faculty meetings and festivals
* Knowledge of Waldorf Education and Pedagogy and a willingness to develop one’s understanding and practice
Assistant teachers at Sunfield are paid an hourly rate based on their level of experience. Time is allocated for classroom preparation and occasional meetings.
How to Apply
Qualified and interested candidates, please email a letter of interest, resume, and 3 references to hiring@Sunfieldfarm.org
111 Sunfield Lane, Port Hadlock, WA 98339
Sunfield is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Sunfield is following all COVID-19 mandates for K-12 schools in Washington state.
Your application has been successfully submitted.