Summer Farm School Educator
A rare, inspiring opportunity for a passionate educator to co-manage a farm-based summer camp for a small group of 4-8 year olds (5-8 children). Enjoy the summer season in a beautiful environment, surrounded by fields, forests, beaches, vineyards and quaint local towns minutes away.
Accommodations are not provided with this position however this opening can be combined with the Head Camp Ranger position (see Goodwork.ca) that includes accommodations for candidates who wish to apply as partners.
May/June to September/October
$22/hour, from 8:30AM-4PM, Monday-Friday. Additional income can be derived from applicants interests/qualifications such as yoga, meditation, workshops, etc.
Fronterra is a 58 acre waterfront organic farm located in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada (2 hours east of Toronto) producing cut flowers, eggs, vegetables, botanicals, hops, barley and wheat. During the summer tourist season, Fronterra offers luxury camping and agro-tourism experiences that connect guests to the natural world while transferring related skills that have a positive impact on the environment. Fronterra’s vision is to foster a shift toward healthy, sustainable lifestyles and promote the understanding of our connection to the natural world.
At Fronterra, we promote a collaborative work environment that fosters positive communicative practices. We encourage and respect diversity and aim to provide ethical working conditions and remunerations. We are strongly committed to environmental sustainability and stewardship as we seek to certify our lands and practices.
In 2017, Fronterra launched a farm-based early-childhood education program focusing on natural, outdoor experiences for a class of 5 children. The educational elements of Fronterra’s vision were designed to inspire children with a wonder of nature through outdoor-based experiences to deliver an ecological literacy that connect them to simplicity, self-sufficiency and sustainability while building a strong moral purpose for the future, kindness to others and an awareness of the challenges of our future. This is achieved through:
- Nature-based experiences: farming, permaculture, eco-gardening, wildlife study & food production
- Simplicity: Slow movement, yoga, meditation, small is great ~ less is more
- Self-Sufficiency: confidence, courage, diverse & practical skill sets, competency, self dependance
- Sustainability: closed-loop consumption, community support, ecological advocacy
- Moral Development: confidently define good-vs-bad, right-vs-wrong in a modern context
- Understanding Challenges of our Future: Racism, sexism, climate change, globalism, rich-poor gap, food/energy/health security.
In Sept 2020 we officially launched an expansion of this initiative in the form of a ‘pandemic pod’ consisting of a 6 child cohort lead by an OCT certified primary educator with outdoor education experience & accreditations.
We are looking for an inspired and energetic candidate to co-lead the outdoor summer program with the assistance of the other educator. The main responsibilities of this position are:
- Co-develop, implement and deliver an outdoor program for ~5-8 children aged ~4-8 from 9AM-3:30PM based in our farm’s gardens, fields and forests
- Encourage and inspire children in their discovery of the natural world while inspiring confidence and compassion
- Ensure the safety and well-being of the children at all times
- Communicate with parents regularly regarding the program
- Perform administrative work and plan for the program
The candidate will ideally have the following qualifications:
- Experience running an outdoor summer camp or cohort of children / -
- Experience working with children and experience working in an outdoor setting
- Health and Safety mindfulness adhering to safety policies including COVID guidelines
- Current First Aid with CPR-C (or able to complete prior to start date)
- Clear criminal record check and vulnerable sector check
- Degree in education is an asset
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Knowledge of alternative schooling approaches such as Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, Montessori and Green School (Bali, New Zealand) is an asset
Please note that if you have a true passion for child education and thrive in an ever-evolving, creative and natural environment but do not have all listed qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV, a cover letter and two references (previous employers preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only the candidates selected for an online interview will be contacted. We thank you for your time and interest and are looking forward to hearing from you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.