Grade School Games Teacher
This job is no longer accepting applications.
San Francisco Waldorf School is seeking a Games Teacher.
The San Francisco Waldorf School (SFWS) was founded in 1979 and serves more than 450 students across a parent-child program, a nursery program, kindergarten, and grades 1 through 12. Our Early Childhood and Grade School campuses are in the Pacific Heights neighborhood, and our High School campus is in West Portal.
The Grade School Games Teacher is responsible for teaching developmentally appropriate movement and games for grades 1 through 8.
- The Movement Teacher will be responsible for teaching grades 1 through 8; 13 periods per week
- The candidate will have a deep understanding of child development based on the philosophy of Waldorf education
- Be creative in developmentally appropriate movement curriculum that encourages enthusiastic participation and develops self-esteem
- Manage budget, equipment, and overall program coordination
- Lead the training for the 5th grade Pentathlon, 6th grade Medieval Games, 7th grade Explorer’s Tournament and 8th grade track meet. These are yearly, multi-school events.
- Assist with all assembly and festival preparations
- Attend weekly Faculty Meetings
- Participate in weekly Subject Teacher’s meetings
- Attend Parent Teacher Conferences during conference week and throughout the year as needed
- Classroom Observations
- Be present on campus five days a week, consistent with .75FTE
- Parent Education (Weekend / Evening)
- Substitution, as needed
- Participation in recess duties, school assemblies, and substitutions based on FTE school guidelines
- Substitution - Substitute during main lesson as requested on teaching days (short term). Teachers are expected to be available for more duties when teaching fewer periods.
- Observations - Attend and observe at least two main lesson classes per year
- Mentoring - Meet with mentor teacher weekly throughout the year. The Games Teacher should also meet with the Mentor Teacher before the school year begins to clearly define and discuss goals, expectations, workload, responsibilities, and performance evaluation. In addition, the Games Teacher should share course syllabi, relevant materials, and information pertaining to the curriculum.
- Street Duties and Recess Duties - Supervise up to nine dismissal or recesses.
- Budget - Manage budget and supplies for the Games program.
- Maintain Classroom/Office/Workspace - Maintain all materials and equipment for the Games program and store equipment in an organized manner.
- Mid-Year and End of Year Reports - The Games Teacher writes reports semi-annually for all grades classes. This report is a characterization of the student’s thinking, feeling and willing. The approach that is used to address these three aspects of the child’s development changes as the child goes through the grades. Student reports contain a course description and the student’s performance in the class. Narrative evaluations and grades are to be turned into the office one week after the end of the year.
- Parent Education and Admission Events (Weekend / Evening)
School Year: Faculty members are expected to be available to work on assigned teaching days from the start of the school year until the end as defined by the all-school calendar. Faculty members are expected to be in town and available for meetings, starting mid-August with the all-school faculty meetings and to be in town and available for end of year meetings, the week after 8th grade graduation.
- Waldorf Teacher Training Preferred
- Waldorf Class Teaching Experience Preferred
- Trained in Spacial Dynamics and/or Bothmer Gymnastics
- Bachelor's Degree Required
Benefits and Compensation
This position is .75 FTE
Benefits include medical, dental, flexible spending plans, voluntary vision, retirement plan (employer contributions and matching after one year of employment), and pro rated tuition remission for eligible dependents in our N-12 program. Salaries are paid on a 12-month schedule
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold
- Regularly standing 4-8 hours
FLSA Classification: Faculty; Exempt from overtime
Reports to: Grade School Chair
Hired by: Grade School Steering Committee
Updated: March 2022
San Francisco Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, or any protected class. We recognize that the range of ethnicities, nationalities, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, learning differences, and life experiences within our community enhances the school’s learning environment, and we are committed to fostering equity and inclusion.
Please send your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.