Office Manager and Communication Director
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator will provide efficient and organized management of the school’s central office by:
- Managing office and IT systems
- Managing student records, including health records
- Implementing communication between various school bodies and community
- Supporting the Facilities Manager in the regular assessment and implementation of security procedures
- Administering first aid and providing oversight of staff first aid training
As a member of the Administration team, the Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID
Coordinator will work to ensure the safety and security of students; coordinate with colleagues to provide consistent office staffing; and promote a friendly, welcoming atmosphere in the administration offices. The position is full time includes partial tuition remission.
The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator should be in harmony with, and exhibit knowledge of, Waldorf school philosophy and its educational principles, techniques, and methods. The Office
Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator should be friendly, warm, and courteous with strong listening skills and be personable and professional on the phone and when greeting people in the office. The
Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator should have the ability to establish rapport, handle personal and confidential information with discretion, and answer questions about the school sensitively and competently.
This position requires the ability to prioritize and multitask, take initiative, and work independently as well as part of a team. It requires strong organizational skills and the ability to handle short periods of high-volume work often in a distracting environment. Priority will be given to candidates with a strong interest or background in expanding and supporting initiatives related to diversity and equity. Office management expertise gained through a minimum of two years of equivalent-level work experience is desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer proficiency and experience with Microsoft Office programs (Windows), Google Workspace, website management, and databases (direct experience with FACTS, DaySchool, Constant Contact, a strong plus)
- Knowledge of equipment and supplies (e.g., computers, photocopier, fax machine, printers, phone system)
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Ability to create, compose, and edit school forms, newsletters, parent communications and other written materials
- Establish work priorities and workflow; keep day-to-day operations running smoothly, problem solving as needed
- Serve as IT point of contact for
o office equipment contracts, maintenance, and repairs (including copier lease and IT service provider,
InTech CT) o school website and student information system service provider (Snowman Software) o additional computer software and programs as needed (i.e. Zoom, cyber security training, etc…)
- Provide basic IT support for teachers and staff
- Manage school databases; ensuring constituent consistency across various databases including, but not limited to: o DaySchool (student information, camps, and development) o FACTS (enrollment and tuition management) o Constant Contact (communications)
- Update the school website on a regular basis, and generally monitor overall content, appearance, and functionality
- Manage school’s Google Workspace account
- Facilitate communication, both externally and internally, on various platforms (Constant Contact, DaySchool,
SchoolMessenger), through the writing and/or editing of school updates including: o email newsletters (the Friday Flyer; News, Notes & Updates; and Community Connections) o press releases o letters to the community o and other correspondence and reports
- Coordinate social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc…) with Enrollment and
- Work alongside Enrollment Director with external SEO and Social Media strategist
- Coordinate inventory of school photos with Enrollment and Development
- Maintain Parent and Staff Handbooks and Crisis Management Plan
- Manage the school calendar including working with College Chair to build the calendar and updating the website and hard-copy calendars
- Support the Business Office as needed with risk management and insurance documentation including attending conferences related to such
- Maintain and manage student records (including health forms, incident reports, field trip forms, etc…) along with Office Assistant o Update immunization and health assessment information in DaySchool
- Coordinate and support collection and distribution of parent-teacher conference reports in November and
- March along with Office Assistant
- Create structure for, support teachers with, generate, and distribute mid-year and year-end report cards through DaySchool
- Liaise with the town, state, CAIS, and AWSNA, and Newtown School District as needed including preparing and submitting any required reports including: o annual reports to the state regarding immunization compliance (general immunizations and influenza immunizations for PreK students) o annual asthma survey o annual ED-159 Non-public Schools Report
- Serve as point of contact with the Newtown School District to receive updates (both during school and after- hours) regarding weather delays and closures o Broadcast alerts regarding unexpected delays and closures through SchoolMessenger and post status to news websites
- Liaise with the bus company
- Coordinate security procedures and drills with the Facilities Manager o Manage SchoolMessenger o Manage “Go” bags for emergencies, ensuring they are kept up-to-date and accessible o Maintain working knowledge of the Stanley Control System and provide support in modifying door schedules when needed o Attend monthly Newtown Public School District Security and Safety Committee meetings whenever possible
- Support the library committee by organizing the cataloguing of new books including: o entering them in the school Google Sheets library catalogs, and for DEI-related purchases (and wish lists) the school’s LibraryThing account; o perform mail merges to print labels for books as needed
- Support teachers at dismissal duty to monitor changes in pick-ups; walk students to the office for late pickups or to late care as needed; place calls to parents as needed
- Manage first aid including administering first aid when on campus and ensuring other staff and faculty have training needed to perform first aid when students are in their care or come to the Administration Cottage
- Serve as COVID Coordinator o Attend regular COVID Coordinator meetings organized by CAIS, DPH and CSDE o Synthesize updates in federal, state, or local requirements as well as best-practices and make recommendations to the COVID-19 Task Force o Serve as point of contact with the state regarding case-reporting, test kit distribution, Project COVID
DeteCT and any other necessary communication o Write and disseminate any relevant updates to policies and procedures, which may include but are not limited to a COVID-19 Campus Operational Plan, the Daily Attestation of Health, and any associated documents o Maintain a working understanding of isolation and quarantine requirements and be able to accurately calculate and answer questions related to individual isolation and quarantine timelines and any associated testing or masking requirements. o Broadcast COVID notifications to the community in accordance with current school policies; broadcasts may include messages sent via SchoolMessenger or DaySchool
The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator will comply and keep up-to-date with school policies and is accountable to the Board. The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID
Coordinator will participate in regular administrative staff meetings and attend regular faculty meetings as well as
Grades or EC meetings when necessary. The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID
Coordinator will participate in Professional Development days and any required staff training including ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion training. The Office Manager and Communications Director and COVID Coordinator will be reviewed as outlined in the Staff Development guidelines.
Housatonic Valley Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on religion, national origin, color, race, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or physical disability in our programs and activities or in our hiring, admissions, financial aid, or scholarship practices and policies.
Please go to www.waldorfct.org/employment for additional application details or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your application has been successfully submitted.