Early Years Leader at Small Nature-Based Childcare Setting, West Dartmoor, UK
An exciting opportunity for an early years leader with an interest in management is available at Tiny Wilds, a beautiful outdoor based learning facility located in a wild garden on an organic smallholding on the edge of Dartmoor. At Tiny Wilds we have a strong interest in diverse educational approaches; we are open to old and new, mainstream, alternative, national and international methods of education, to help us offer the best to our children. We are looking for someone experienced, passionate and committed to their future in the area of holistic childcare and education, as well as being excited at the prospect of being part of and instrumental in the development of this growing educational setting.
Tiny Wilds focuses on creative, active and nature-based learning. We are looking for a qualified (minimum level 6) Early Years leader who is fun, creative, enthusiastic and confident, with an interest in wildlife and outdoor play. We are Ofsted registered and already offer funded places for 2-5 year olds and as of September we will be opening an additional space to offer learning for flexi/home-school children from 5- 8. At Tiny Wilds we are educating children who may be going into mainstream school, so attention to their creative and academic progression is key. This role will encompass a balance of managerial duties and hands-on working with the children. The successful applicant will be responsible for co-planning and leading educational sessions for our children, as well as for managing parent relationships and administrating (or overseeing the administration) of the enrolment process.
Tiny Wilds operates from a wild and rugged garden on an organic farm and wildlife project during term times. We are located in a river valley on the edge of Dartmoor, 4 miles from Tavistock. Our warm and secure indoor space is a beautiful, windowed yurt set in a half acre natural garden, which provides the freedom and exhilaration of outside, free-flow play. Tiny Wilds has a strong emphasis on being sustainable and ethical in our day to day activities, as well as encouraging children to respect and connect with their natural surroundings. The extraordinary nature accessible to Tiny Wilds is hard to find anywhere in the UK and our children have access to the ancient forests, SSSI land, boulder-strewn river and bluebell meadows that belong to the founders, as well as open moorland and organically farmed animals. On the farm we keep sheep, chickens, geese, pigs, ducks, ponies, cows and goats and have a lovely big gentle dog and a friendly fluffy cat.
The right applicant will be kind, gentle, relaxed and intelligent, whilst also being conscientious, organised and efficient, with good initiative and a natural enjoyment of engaging with children. We celebrate all the main UK holidays, both pagan and mainstream and we are looking for someone who will enjoy helping to create fun and magical events for both the parents and children.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities
- Confidence in yourself and the ability to perform in the role
- Great organisational and time-management skills
- Energy, enthusiasm, stamina, patience, dedication, resilience and self-discipline
- Initiative, leadership, supervisory skills and team working abilities
- Imagination, creativity and a sense of humour
- Good judgement and an analytical mind
- A satisfactory health record and criminal record check
Main duties and responsibilities
- Nature based and indoor lesson planning and preparation
- Creating and acquiring learning resources
- Checking children’s work and providing feedback
- Identifying clear teaching objectives and specifying how they will be taught and monitored; setting tasks which challenge pupils and ensure high levels of interest
- Ensuring pupils acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to the subject being taught
- Critically evaluating your own teaching methods, to improve effectiveness
- Encouraging pupils to think and talk about their learning, develop initiative and independence, to concentrate and persevere, and to listen attentively
- Use a variety of teaching strategies which involve planned adult intervention, first-hand experience, indoor and outdoor play and talk as a vehicle for learning.
- Overseeing assistants, including apprenticeship tutor for current apprentice.
- Managing parent relationships, in person, by email and on the phone
- Administrating or overseeing the enrolment process for new children, and session changes for existing children.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified. Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
Necessary skills and experience:
- Minimum 4 years childcare experience, including training.
- Must have relevant experience or Level 6 qualification.
- DBS check
- Fluent in English
- Driving with full licence
- Relevant degree or Level 6 qualification. Or similar experience in other educational settings
- Food hygiene and Paediatric First Aid certificate (or must be willing to train)
- Nature based learning experience with children
- Tiny Wilds operates within Devon Local Authority school term times
- A normal week would consist of 4 days (3 days teaching), 8.5hrs per day, with an additional/optional half hour unpaid break taken at lunch on non-teaching days and after pick up on teaching days, depending on the agreed contract. Average working hours at Tiny Wilds would be between 8.00am-4.30 or 5pm
- From £12 per hour and up depending on experience and qualifications
- When applying for this role, please include your CV and a covering letter telling us what appeals to you about working in this role at Tiny Wilds, and why you feel you would be the perfect candidate for us.
Please email your application, including CV and covering letter (see above) to email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.