5th Grade Class Teacher
Upper Grades Class Teacher
Golden Bridges School
School Overview Golden Bridges School is a small, groundbreaking school in its 9th full school year. GBS was founded by Waldorf-trained teachers and currently operates in San Francisco’s Portola neighborhood, serving Preschool through 7th Grade, with 135 students and 42 staff members. The school intends to grow into a full Preschool through 8th Grade school.
GBS is taking a fresh look at Waldorf education, asking what the children of today in San Francisco need from teachers and education in general. One major result of this question is the development of a robust outdoor curriculum. Each week, our Kindergarten spends two days in an indoor classroom, one day at our urban farm, and two days hiking in McLaren Park. Our grades classes are indoors for Main Lesson and some subject classes, spending additional days in large outdoor parks, at the school farm, or on field trips. 1st and 2nd grades often spend one full day a week outdoors in San Francisco’s parks. We are also dedicated to becoming an anti-racist school - committed to social justice, internally and externally - that is inclusive and welcoming to all. We incorporate both anthroposophy and social justice in our weekly faculty meetings, where we delve deeper into interrupting Euro- and white-centric curriculum to bring equitable teaching practices and anti-racist policies into the classroom and school life. We ask that teachers be interested and on a path of exploring both anthroposophy and social justice.
For the 2022-23 school year we are looking for an Upper Grades teacher to join our strong team. This teacher will work collaboratively with the other grades teachers while also having individual freedom within their classroom.
A Grades Teacher’s responsibilities include:
- Developing age-appropriate curriculum for both the indoors and outdoors
- A commitment to each child’s growth through inner work and the practical art of teaching
- Parent education and meetings
- Faculty meetings and school committees involvement (each faculty member is required to serve on two committees)
The type of teacher we are looking for:
- Extremely flexible. We are an evolving, developing program that relies on change and adaptation. Because we are outdoors so much we are also subject to the elements - fire, rain, wind - which ask us to change our schedule for the day at an hour's notice.
- Strong cultural competency and confidence working with diverse family backgrounds striving to create a community that is socially just and equitable.
- Inspired to be part of a groundbreaking and developing school in an urban city. We are still very much in the creation phase and are looking for teachers who take initiative to help build on the foundation of the school.
- Previous experience in a grades teaching environment, either as a lead or long-time assistant.
- Ability and desire to collaborate with other teachers.
- Inspired by teaching and learning outdoors.
- Confident in Waldorf curriculum and anthroposophy, enough to create a curriculum rather than simply following one from the past that may not serve the students’ needs for today.
- If new to Waldorf, then must come with a willingness to do continuing education in the Waldorf curriculum.
- Speaks a second language fluently, preferred.
We look forward to hearing from all interested teachers from around the world.
Competitive salary and benefits available.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt of the cover letter, we may schedule a phone call with a member of our Hiring Committee.
It shall be the operational policy of Golden Bridges School not to discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation or affectional preference, age, or handicap in any of its policies, procedures, or practices. This policy of non-discrimination covers school programs and activities, including but not limited to: academic, admissions, financial aid, educational services, and employment.
Your application has been successfully submitted.