POSITION DESCRIPTION – Cook Assistant / Apprentice
Location: 241 Hungry Hollow Road Chestnut Ridge, NY 10977
Status: Full Time. Hours to be determined.
Compensation: $18 to $20 an hour
Benefits: Paid Time Off, meals provided during covered shifts, if serving
Reports to: Nicholas Centolanza
To Apply: Submit a cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com
The Fellowship Community is an alternative elder care facility in Rockland County, at the center of an intergenerational community on 80 acres of a bucolic dairy farm and forest. We emphasize organic and natural food as soulful nourishment. We serve the needs of elder members through the phases of aging, from independent apartment living to more direct care, surrounding and supporting the individual with a more human approach to care.
Job Summary: We are seeking an open-minded individual with 1-3 years of cooking experience in a professional setting or equivalent to help us provide for the nutritional needs of our community.
In this role, you will assist with cooking and serving food of high standard that follows nutritional and dietary guidelines, as well as assist with receiving orders from purveyors. This role is essential to the health of our elder members and coworkers. We are looking for someone with experience in food preparation and a passion for working with a high-quality farm grown vegetables, herbs, and dairy products. Experience with cooking for individuals with dietary restrictions is preferred.
Responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
· Preparation of food that is tailored and adheres to the nutritional needs of our members and coworkers
· Serve food in our dining area
· Assist with cleaning and utility duties as requested
· Ensure all food and other items are labeled, stored properly and easily accessible
· Comply with nutrition and sanitation guidelines
· Perform other kitchen duties as assigned
Education, Skill Set and Qualifications Needed
· Serve Safe Training
· High school diploma or GED certificate
· Proven experience with food preparation and nutrition
· Able to open dining operations and perform duties independently
· Manual dexterity, able to operate cutting tools and kitchen utensils and equipment
· Caregiver experience a plus
· Interest in "farm to table" environment
Character Qualities and Work Style
· Adaptable and flexible. Open to change and variations in workplace and workflow.
· Attentive to privacy issues. Able to support compliance with RSFF policy, State and Federal law, and administration.
· Compassionate. Gentle. Active Listener. Demonstrates discernment.
· Creative, sensitive to problems, problem solver.
· Detail oriented and thorough in completion of work tasks and fulfilling obligations. Finds ways to accomplish desired goal / affect.
· Patient with an ability to stay positive under pressure.
· Reliable, self-motivated and self-starter as we are a 365-day community.
· A team player with excellent communication skills.
· Thorough in completion of tasks and fulfilling obligations. Finds ways to accomplish the desired goals.
· Self-confident. Grounded. Takes initiative. Able to see what needs to be done. Willing and able to lead as needed, respectfully offer opinions and naturally take on responsibilities and challenges.
· Stable. Able to maintain composure and self-control and keep emotions in check.
· Possesses integrity. Is honest and ethical.
· Must be able to stand and be moving about for extended periods of time
· Must be able to move and respond quickly if needed
· Must be able to physically handle, lift, hold, reach for and move heavy objects
Your application has been successfully submitted.