Full Time Director of Student Life and Athletics
Chicago Waldorf School is seeking to enrich our students’ experience by hiring a Director of Student Life and Athletics. Learning doesn’t only happen in the classroom! We are seeking someone with a passion for growing and expanding our Athletics program, monitoring a healthy afterschool space for our Upper School, facilitation and creation of clubs and social events and supporting field trips and outdoor excursions. This director will collaborate with students, teachers, faculty and other schools to offer a robust extracurricular environment for our students in grades 6-12.
· Schedule athletic events with our conference teams and according to school calendar
· Recruit, hire, train and supervise coaches for all teams
· Order, maintain and stock team uniforms
· Arrange team transportation
· Communicate with families, whole school, faculty and other schools regarding game schedules and athletic events
· Maintain school athletics calendar
· Lead the athletics program with a strong connection to our school, and adhering to principles of excellence, inclusion and fairness
· Increase participation and enthusiasm about our athletic program
· Be present with students during daily breaks and after school
· Facilitate social events like dances, clubs, affinity groups, day trips and service project with an emphasis on connecting with our neighborhood and city
· Organize, maintain and upgrade our camping trip supplies
· Communicate with faculty, students and parents about events and opportunities
· Enliven and ensoul the social experience for students in our school
· Work closely with the Counseling department to support students
· Support of high school camping trips, service-learning trips and other trips
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field required
· Training in Waldorf education, or knowledge/experience/interest in Waldorf Education preferred
Skills and Experience:
· Demonstrated experience with Athletic Direction and student extracurriculars
· Experience and interest working with diverse student body: race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender preference, learning abilities, class, language, religion and nationality
· Outdoor education experience is a plus
· Enthusiasm for developing inclusive school programs classrooms, and warm welcoming relationships with students and families
Compensation & Amenities
The Chicago Waldorf School offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including full tuition remission, health, dental and life insurance, 403B retirement program, and funds for on-going professional development. The salary is commensurate with experience.
About the Chicago Waldorf School
CWS, founded in 1974, is one of the most established Waldorf Schools in the United States, offering a full curriculum in grades 1 through 12, and which from its inception committed to remaining in the City of Chicago’s vibrant urban setting. We seek to explore and enrich the Waldorf curriculum through the arts, equity and inclusion, human relationships and the time in which we live. Our work stems from the core values of Waldorf Education.
We have been in our permanent home for three years, the landmark Lyman Trumbull building, which includes 49 classrooms and offices, a gym and an auditorium. Our 100,000 square feet make us the largest Waldorf school in the United States. We are proud to partner with many businesses and organizations in the surrounding Andersonville neighborhood.
Our faculty come from around the world and all stages of life. For new teachers we have excellent mentoring opportunities, and access to professional development funds. Each year our whole faculty receive training in first aid, sexual harassment, trans-inclusivity and 94% of our faculty and staff have participated in year-long SEED (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) seminars. The faculty also study the pedagogical insights of Rudolf Steiner in weekly faculty meetings. In additional to core academic subjects we teach music, German, Spanish, Eurythmy, gardening, parkour, and practical and fine arts. Our families are also international and reflect diversity in all its aspects, but are united in their desire for a developmental curriculum that recognizes the whole child and celebrates difference.
We encourage you to forward this job opening to others who may be interested. To apply please send your resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Chicago Waldorf School does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and beyond that has a deep commitment to respect and celebrate the differences in students and staff from widely diverse social, economic, cultural, linguistic, gender identities, intellectual, racial, educational, and religious backgrounds. There is a sustained effort and clear recognition that our educational excellence and fulfillment of our school’s mission is dependent on embracing diversity in our school community. We seek to fully include and affirm faculty, staff, and students in all of their identities. In everything we do we work toward freedom, responsibility and excellence. The Chicago Waldorf School provides its teachers, staff and families ongoing opportunities to study and discuss aspects of diversity.
Your application has been successfully submitted.