Communications & Advancement Manager (Part-Time)
Halton Waldorf School is seeking a part-time Communications & Advancement Manager starting August 2022. The successful candidate will work on-site at our main campus located at 2193 Orchard Road in Burlington Ontario. This is a 60% role working 22.5 hours per week with the potential to become full-time.
Reporting to the Administrative Director, the Communications & Advancement Manager is responsible for leading the outreach and advancement activities of the school. Halton Waldorf School is poised for growth with the addition of an emerging high school, and this position offers a strong opportunity for a communications and development professional.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Administrative Director and Board Advancement (Fundraising) Committee to establish and achieve communication and development goals to support a culture of giving within the school and build goodwill on behalf of HWS in the wider community. The aim of the outreach and marketing efforts is to increase school enrollment and to increase visibility and appeal of the school in the community. In this role you will manage several school events a year to engage parents, alumni, faculty, and friends.
The Communications & Advancement Manager responsibilities include the following:
- Overseeing the preparation of high-quality development publications, including oversight of school wide brochures, Annual Report, and any other materials relating to school fundraising and outreach.
- Preparing a bi-weekly newsletter of school activities and programs that is distributed to faculty and parents.
- Coordinating Open Houses and tour events with the Admissions Manager.
- Collaborating with external designer on ads, flyers, and promotional materials.
- Act as the first point of contact for triaging requests and inquiries; deal with internal and external stakeholders and effectively gather required information, communicate information or tasks to related parties.
- Preparing for and attend meetings, including the development of meeting agenda and minutes, and presentations and other meeting documents, communicating required tasks and action steps, and following up on deliverables (i.e. departmental, the Board Advancement Committee meetings), handling confidential information with discretion.
- Developing strategic, innovative annual appeal letters and calls to action that would involve the support and leadership of the Administrative Director, Pedagogical Director, Board Chair, volunteers, and others.
- Ensuring effective stewardship of Annual Fund donors, through recognition of gifts and the delivery of any necessary reports and communications, such as pledge reminders and stewardship reports, to appropriate constituents.
- Gift processing, reporting requirements (Raiser’s Edge database or other CRM that ensures appropriate and timely acknowledgment of donors).
- Participating in professional development and weekly faculty meetings (Thursday evenings).
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree and three or more years progressive communications and development (fundraising) experience
- Willingness to embrace the Halton Waldorf School and its pedagogical philosophy
- Ability to deal effectively with and represent the school to a wide range of groups and individuals
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and managing outreach events
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral)
- Outgoing personality, enthusiasm for motivating people
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities, solve problems and demonstrate leadership skills within a team environment.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, Wordpress and social media platforms
- Strong time management, organizational and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work independently as an initiative-taker and as part of the administrative team
About Our School:
The Halton Waldorf School provides students with a place to grow intellectually, artistically, and socially. Founded in 1984, we are an independent, accredited Waldorf School serving students and their families from birth to high school. Our high school offers an Ontario Ministry of Education Graduation Diploma which enables University and College entrance along with our Waldorf Diploma in Grade 12.
Every day our faculty and administration serve a vibrant and diverse community of over two hundred students and their families. Located on five forested acres in northeast Burlington, close to the natural wonders of the Niagara Escarpment and the shores of Lake Ontario. We are committed providing a healthy, beautiful sustainable environment that supports the pedagogical mission of the school.
Criminal Record Check:
The successful candidate must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check that includes a Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing employment.
Commitment to Equity:
The Halton Waldorf School is committed to equitable hiring practices. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Caitlyn Byford, Human Resources and Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate the interest of all applicants but will only be contacting candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.