Music Teacher Position at River Valley Waldorf School
River Valley Waldorf School is seeking a music teacher to join the faculty beginning in the 2022-23 school year. The music program is for students in grades 1 through 8 and consists of vocal music, flute and recorder, and chorus. The position requires authentic warmth, good humor, joy, and enthusiasm for teaching.
Our school has a strong faculty of dynamic teachers, growing enrollment, effective leadership, and committed parents. We seek colleagues who share a vision for social justice through Waldorf education. Ideal candidates will have a passion for Waldorf education, be willing to commit to ongoing work of diversity, equity, and inclusion, experience in elementary education, and the inter- and intra-personal skills to partner with parents and collaborate with colleagues. Waldorf is the fastest growing independent school movement in the world. This dynamic, 100-year-old approach to child development and education—based on the teachings of Rudolf Steiner—is continually reinventing itself to meet the needs of current students. It inspires life-long learning in students and enables them to fully develop their unique capacities.
The music teacher designs and leads students in vocal music, flute, and recorder for students in grades 1 through 8 as well as chorus for middle school. The teacher also provides other support during the school day such as recess coverage and preparation of music for festivals and the middle school play. The music teacher coordinates the music program and performance calendar, assists families in locating private instrument lessons, and navigating that selection process including facilitating instrument rental. Additional responsibilities include weekly faculty meetings, specialist teacher meetings, Caregiver and Teacher conferences throughout the year, and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is an experienced music teacher with 3-5 years of classroom experience with excellent classroom management and a passion for Waldorf education. Waldorf training and experience is preferred. Candidates should be experienced in choral instruction and piano accompaniment. A confident classroom presence and strong social and communication skills are required. This position is expected to collaborate with all grades teachers as well as the Pedagogical Chair to improve and grow River Valley Waldorf’s music program.
- Work cooperatively with colleagues
- Coordinate and organize the distribution of instruments, leasing/rental agreements, and instrumental repairs.
- Participation and contributions musically to festivals and performances
- Clear and frequent communication to families that includes: reminders about instrument care, expected transitions between grades, lesson schedules, class and lesson updates.
- Communication between instrument suppliers and repair services
- Coordinate and run strings nights annually
- Documentation of lesson plans, objectives, and timely communication to families and class teachers.
- Assisting in scheduling and creating lesson groups with sensitivity to class needs.
- Collaborate with lesson teachers to co-organize and oversee annual events.
- Collaborate with team members to facilitate instruction that is inclusive of all learners.
- Submission of purchase orders related to the music department for office processing.
- Maintain a positive learning environment that is safe, joyful, and nurturing.
- Participation in scheduled professional development and attending to school information pertinent to the music program.
- Ongoing work in self development and curricular development in anti-bias, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Hours and Compensation
Generally daily 8:00am – 3:30pm with weekly after-school faculty meetings and occasional special events on evenings and weekends. This position could range from 3-4 days per week. Salary is dependent on an established schedule as well as education and experience. 80% employees are eligible for participation in the 403b retirement plan as well as healthcare benefits.
Background clearances, physical examination, and TB test will be required.
Start Date & Timeline
Inservice training week before school begins
School Year: September 8, 2022 – June 9, 2023
Required training obtained during employment may include:
- CPR and First Aid
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Stewards of Children – Darkness to Light
- Racial Equity: Anti-bias Training
Benefits include medical, dental, flexible spending plans, voluntary vision plan, retirement plan (employer contributions and matching after one year of employment), and tuition remission for eligible dependents in our EC-8 program. Salaries are paid on a 12-month schedule.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
● Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
● Work intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold
● Regularly sitting or standing for 4-8 hours
FLSA Classification: Faculty; Exempt from overtime
Reports to: Head of School
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, and a short biographical sketch to either:
mail: River Valley Waldorf School
1395 Bridgeton Hill Road
Upper Black Eddy, PA 18972
Equal Rights and Opportunities Policy
River Valley Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We recognize that the range of ethnicities, nationalities, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, learning differences, and life experiences within our community enhances the school’s learning environment, and we are committed to fostering equity and inclusion.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and mentorship. RVWS makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Your application has been successfully submitted.