HANDWORK ASSISTANT FOR GRADES 1-5
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Job Description: Handwork is an integral part of the Emerson Waldorf School curriculum. This part-time position involves supporting the lead Handwork Teacher during lessons and assisting students with knitting, crochet, hand sewing, embroidery, cross stitch, and other fiber and textile arts, as well as seasonal craft projects.
Employment Category: Hourly Part-Time, approximately 6 hours per week
Reports To: Handwork Teacher
- Solid knowledge of basic knitting, crochet, and other handwork skills, as well as a general understanding of how to correct problems in this kind of work.
- Experience working with children aged 6 - 12.
- A willingness to learn the Waldorf Education approach to teaching Handwork.
- An interest in further developing skills in the textile and fiber arts.
- A demonstrated commitment to professional development and working collaboratively with faculty and proactively with students.
- Positive attitude and excellent communication skills.
- The ability to deal with challenging behavior and a variety of learning styles preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Assist students with handwork tasks individually and in groups alongside Handwork Teacher.
- Develop a clear understanding of students’ specific needs, individual learning styles, and temperaments in order to modify and accommodate curriculum and lessons as needed.
- Follow Handwork Teacher’s lead through observation and inquiry.
- Work in close partnership with the Handwork Teacher to support classroom management.
- Provide the Handwork Teacher with observations and feedback about students’ challenges, successes, and progress.
- Punctuality and reliability.
- Frequent standing, squatting, and bending.
- Precise work with hands and fingers.
- Near visual acuity for detailed work.
- Occasional lifting and carrying.
- Work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Possible exposure to contagious illnesses.
If you would like to join our exceptional faculty, please email a resume, cover letter, and three references to Wendy Ziegler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.