Pre-Kindergarten Teacher's Aide
ANGELA’S SEEDS: SEEKING EARLY CHILDHOOD PROGRAM FOUNDING TEACHERS
Pre-Kindergarten Teacher’s Aide Position
Closing Date: September 29, 2022
Position Start date: January 3rd, 2023
* Offering a $500 hiring bonus for a limited time.*
The Angela Day School is seeking to hire one (1) experienced, Spanish fluent, part-time pre-kindergarten teacher’s aide to join Angela’s Seeds, a new early childcare program projected to open in South Minneapolis in January 2023. Angela’s Seeds is a multilingual, forest kindergarten, holistic education early learning program offering families a Spanish language and American Sign Language (ASL) learning environment for their children. The pre-kindergarten teacher’s aide will help lead a mixed age prekindergarten program for 3 and 4 year olds, serving 20 children during the afternoon aftercare program. Angela’s Seeds is a nonprofit organization and is a subsidiary of The Angela Day School whose purpose is to offer families from underrepresented communities affordable access to a holistic progressive education in a childcare setting and to support the educational mission and purpose of The Angela Day School. We will be conducting interviews between now and September 29th, 2022 to hire teachers to join as founding teachers. Educators will be compensated to work part-time during our start up period from September 1st - December 31st and will begin full time on January 3rd, 2023. Interested candidates should contact us now to learn more and apply.
WHAT SETS US APART
- Angela’s Seeds is a small, teacher-led and run, early childcare program where teachers have the autonomy to make decisions about the daily operation and management of the learning program.
- Our program operates on a sliding scale to increase accessibility for low income families and to ensure teachers and staff receive a fair wage
- We blend a forest kindergarten learning model with progressive learning models like Waldorf and Reggio Emilia
Partnering with families to prepare young minds for future learning by offering a nature-based, antiracist, and culturally responsive holistic early learning environment
Nurturing the best qualities of humanity; promoting social awareness, curiosity, and kindness in the next generation of learners
To support the mission and purpose of The Angela Day School for Liberation and Progressive Education
There is brilliance in every child. Our job is to simply offer an environment conducive to creative exploration and provide supportive guidance for it to manifest, because children thrive best when we engage their curiosity in learning more about the world around them.
Angela’s Seeds will offer families an early childhood development program that is grounded in the principals of how children learn as outlined by the Bezos Family Foundation’s Mind in the Making program and antiracism. We use Reggio Emilia and Waldorf pedagogies as the medium through which to teach and help early learners develop. And we offer the entire experience in a multilingual learning environment where children learn both Spanish and ASL. Angela’s seeds is a nature based program where a significant part of each child’s day is spent learning outdoors.
NUMBER OF POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 1 Position
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting lead and assistant teachers in serving children enrolled in the pre-kindergarten program in accordance with the pedagogical and philosophical principles of Angela’s Seeds
- Assist in proper record keeping for training requirements in partnership with co-lead teachers
- Supporting the implementation of an antiracist, culturally relevant, and multilingual nature based kindergarten curriculum in alignment with the mission and purpose of The Angela Day School.
- Assist with overseeing and monitoring child development while providing high quality care in collaboration with lead and assistant teachers.
- Support the after care learning program
- Working with lead and assistant teachers to assess student growth
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications and meet the following requirements:
- Fluency in Spanish
- A minimum 1 year of experience teaching in a early child care setting or with young children (0 -7 years old) in a school setting
- Must pass a background study
- Applicants must meet the requirements for employment as a teacher’s aide in an early childhood classroom and provide documentation as laid out by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. Requirements can be found here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/9503.0034/
- Must be up to date and maintain up-to-date training, certifications, or other requirements for a child care teacher including pediatric first aid and CPR training.* (see list of training requirements here) Documentation required.
- Previous teaching experience with or a sincere interest in learning about the following pedagogical approaches to education: Waldorf Education, Reggio Emilia Education, Montessori Education, and/or other comparable progressive education pedagogies
- Must be willing participate in regular professional development opportunities to learn ASL or be proficient in ASL
- A commitment to implementing culturally responsive teaching and antiracist teaching practices
- A commitment to working with students of all abilities and backgrounds
- Able to collaborate with fellow teachers and willingness to provide constructive feedback
- Ability to work well in a laboratory model where innovation, regular reevaluation, and change are central to the early childcare program and teaching culture
- Willingness to consistently reevaluate teaching practices and make changes where necessary
- Comfortable working in a multilingual work environment
- Have an unwavering commitment to the vision, mission, and goals of Angela’s Seeds
HOURS AND PAY
Preplanning work and preparation: New hires are required to attend a program orientation training as well as complete all required training by September 29th, 2022 or the earliest possible date. During the planning period, between September 1st, 2022 and December 31st, 2022, all staff are required to attend required professional development sessions. Angela’s Seeds will cover the cost of all required training. The Teacher’s Aide will be paid to attend professional development workshops at a rate of $16.50/hour.
Operational Period: The teacher’s aide position is a part-time position working from 3pm - 6pm, Monday - Friday beginning on January 3rd, 2023. Pay is $16.50/hour. Through our grow-your-own program, a teacher’s aide is eligible to receive tuition costs for additional education and certification, aligned with program goals and pedagogies, and is provided opportunities for professional growth and advancement.
ABOUT THE ANGELA DAY SCHOOL: OUR PARENT ORGANIZATION
The Angela Day School was started by a devoted group of parents and teachers committed to redefining public education by providing a holistic antiracist progressive education to all children regardless of ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and ability. Our goal is to strategically and systematically eliminate the academic and disciplinary disparities faced by students of color in Minneapolis. To get there, we reimagine what education should look like, focusing specifically on providing a space where children are immersed in an environment where they learn how to learn and how to think. We accomplish this by providing a holistic progressive education anchored in antiracist teaching principles while utilizing a laboratory school model to provide ample space for innovation. The program is comprehensive in nature, providing a rich whole child learning experience beyond the usual traditional subjects and learning model, including multilingual learning, outdoor education, and subjects like handwork and woodwork. And the entire experience is enriched by providing space for authentic place-based learning on an agriculturally sustainable urban laboratory farm.
Mission: As part of our mission we are committed to honoring children and childhood through whole child development; preparing each child to be endlessly curious, lifelong learners and future stewards of humanity.
Vision: We envision fostering a vibrant, innovative, multiracial, multilingual, and multi-ability community of socially conscious change agents, collaborators and lifelong learners.
HOW TO APPLY
Job inquiries and questions should be directed to Dianna Myles. Applications should be submitted through our online job application found here. Applicants must submit a resume, letter of interest, and three references. More information about our parent organization can be found at www.theangeladayschool.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.