Early Childhood Support Teacher
Position: Early Childhood Support Teacher
River Valley Waldorf School is seeking an individual to join the Early Childhood Department as a support for lead teachers in a mixed-aged early childhood program beginning the 2022-2023 school year. The position requires authentic warmth, good humor, joy, and enthusiasm for working with young children. The ideal candidate must also be willing to commit to the ongoing work of diversity, equity, and inclusion and have familiarity or interest in best practices of Waldorf Early Childhood Education. This position requires motivation, and the ability to engage in a physically active day while caring for children in the classroom space and surrounding forest areas in all seasons and weather.
- Harmoniously work alongside the lead teacher to provide kind and supportive care to our students in a safe indoor and outdoor environment
- Support the lead teacher in preparing and facilitating program activities throughout the day, i.e. help to prepare daily snack; maintain classroom cleanliness and order; participate in circle and storytime, outdoor activities, and any additional needs to support the flow of the day
- Support children in being their best selves and model behavior for students in alignment with Waldorf pedagogy
- Assist lead teacher with the support of students experiencing emotional or behavioral challenges
- Participate in classroom setup, cleaning, and preparation at the beginning of the school year, and cleaning at the end of the school year
- Meet regularly with lead teacher for planning, study of Waldorf pedagogy, and to communicate observations
- Work well with a team, as well as be able to safely manage and lead a group of students when substituting the role of the lead teacher in their absence
Hours and Compensation
This part-time position is paid $20/hour and includes a 30 minute paid break, Monday-Friday, less school calendar breaks and snow/emergency days. Expected hours for attendance are 8am-2pm, which includes supporting a lead teacher during the half day program and the teacher leading the afternoon portion of the full day program.
Start Date & Timeline
Mandatory Staff Training Week: During 8/29-9/2/2022
Prep and Clean up Weeks: During 8/29-9/2/2022 and 6/13-6/17/2023
School Year: September 6, 2022 – June 8, 2023
Required training obtained during employment may include:
- CPR and First Aid
- Mandated Reporter Training
- Stewards of Children - Darkness to Light
- Racial Equity: Anti-bias Training
The 7-acres of River Valley Waldorf School sits on forested hills that overlook the Delaware River on unceded Lenni-Lenape land. We are so grateful for the First Nations people's reverent caretaking of the land we now call Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania. Upper Black Eddy is located in Bucks County and only 40-60 minutes from major metropolitan areas. Our programs include a caregiver-child program, mixed-age early childhood classes, and grades one through eight. The River Valley community strives to be supportive, and welcoming, and the school has recently deepened its commitment to diversity and equity initiatives. The school is a full member of the Waldorf Early Childhood Association of North America (WECAN) and is accredited by both the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA) and the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS).
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resumé, and a short biographical sketch to either:
mail: River Valley Waldorf School
1395 Bridgeton Hill Road
Upper Black Eddy, PA 18972
Equal Rights and Opportunities Policy
River Valley Waldorf School is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We recognize that the range of ethnicities, nationalities, languages, socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientation, learning differences, and life experiences within our community enhances the school’s learning environment, and we are committed to fostering equity and inclusion.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and mentorship. RVWS makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Your application has been successfully submitted.