Controller, Pasadena Waldorf School, Altadena, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary range is $75,000-$85,000 with generous paid time off.
The Controller manages all accounting functions of Pasadena Waldorf School (“PWS”) and reports on its activities promptly. Responsibilities include supervising all financial-related activities of the school, including budget development, financial transactions, record-keeping, financial reports, and regulatory compliance. Additionally, the Controller reviews all billings and cash receipt transactions; processes all vendor invoices and payments; assists in developing the school and accounting policies; interfaces with insurance brokers, lawyers, accountants, bankers, and other external professionals as needed. Maintain the accounting side of the application (Veracross) and responds to all other financial-related issues as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed, while in other cases, related duties may also be assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
· Close books, reconcile cash and other accounts and prepare monthly financial report package including analysis (flash report) and dashboard graphs.
· Enter data into databases and online spreadsheets, post debits and credits.
· Input and pay vendor invoices, maintain electronic vendor files
· Establish and maintain accounting files, records, logs, and systems relevant to the finances of the school
REPORTING & ANALYSIS:
· Prepare quarterly management reports and accompanying schedules, worksheets, and narratives, including variance reports along with Balance Sheet, Statement of Activities, Cash Flow, and Cash Projection
· Complete quarterly and annual regulatory filings
· Record and track restricted cash flows
· Track scholarship donations and scholarship applications by student
· Create and review 403(B) plan administration form 5500 annually
· Prepare financial documents for annual external audit and tax filing
· Prepare assigned schedules for the annual audit
· Periodically put out for bid for the annual audit
· Serve on the Board of Trustees Finance Committee. Schedules meetings, emails meeting materials to committee members, presents financial reports
· Oversee all banking relations and services
· Supervise daily activity of direct reports and provide constructive feedback
· Manage team workloads to meet deadlines and achieve goals
· Attract, hire, and retain staff members, including developing and updating job descriptions, posting open supervised administrative positions, vetting and interviewing potential candidates for employment, and onboarding new hires to ensure job and cultural acclimation
· Ensure diplomatic, timely, and clear communications in all school relationships
· Receive and process confidential/sensitive information with discretion and following established guidelines or legal standards
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Full understanding and experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
· 5+ years of non-public accounting and financial management experience
· CPA highly desirable
· Non-profit accounting experience preferred
· Previous experience working in a school environment preferred
· Outstanding skills in Microsoft Office Suite, accounting software (Veracross preferred), and database management (SQL, Oracle, etc.)
· Strong executive functioning and organizational and prioritization skills
· Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Professional manner and good judgment
Conditions of Employment
· Handle confidential information with discretion
Reports to: Business Administrator
Directly Supervises: Human Resources Manager, Accountant
Indirectly Supervises: Administrative Manager, Wishing Well Store Manager
Salary and Benefits
· This position is full-time with an annual salary range of $75,000-$85,000
· Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, and paid time off plus 9 holidays and 4 paid break weeks. The typical work week is Monday through Friday.
· PWS expects school employees to be fully vaccinated for the health of our students and employees
· PWS is following careful and successful COVID-19 protocols including prioritizing ample space for working indoors and outdoors, masking, daily health screenings, and frequent testing for all individuals
Please submit a letter of introduction, resume, and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and walk for long periods. The employee must frequently reach with hands and arms. The employee occasionally is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear; stand and walk; bend/stoop/twist/squat/kneel; fine motor manipulation. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 50 pounds. Anything over the weight limits should be done as a two-person lift or with a mechanical lift.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works indoors in an office, moving office to office to access file cabinets, office machinery, and other resources. Regularly works near visual displays. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Pasadena Waldorf School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification.
They cannot include and are not intended to include every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.
Your application has been successfully submitted.