Job Description - Pedagogical Director
Terms: Full-time salaried
Compensation for 2022/23
Reports to: Board of Trustees
Meetings attended: Faculty, Section meetings monthly or as needed/requested, Leadership Council, and Board.
About the position: The Pedagogical Director is hired by the Board, with the recommendation of the Faculty and Administration. The position has primary responsibility for the Waldorf pedagogy, and is reviewed yearly by select members of the Faculty, Administration, and Board.
General Statement of Responsibilities: The Pedagogical Director is responsible for ensuring that Waldorf pedagogy, practices, and values are carried throughout the school's programs. As a spokesperson for the school, the Pedagogical Director promotes effective communication within the school community and beyond.
Nature of this position: This position works closely with the Grades Chair, Early Childhood Chair, Subject Teacher group, and Administrative Director to facilitate and coordinate school matters and communicate in a timely and effective way to the school community. This work requires a commitment to the study of Anthroposophy, and to the mission and vision of the school.
Skills and Training Required: Strong administrative and collaborative leadership skills, ability to take initiative and excellent written and oral communication skills are essential, as well as knowing how to set pedagogical priorities in relation to the school budget and building sustainable programs. The applicant must be an experienced Waldorf teacher, fully trained at an accredited Waldorf Teacher Training program.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Faculty to build and implement the pedagogical vision of the school.
- Uphold policies and procedures pertinent to teaching, pedagogical programming, and parent work.
- Maintain awareness of the ongoing curriculum and pedagogical developments in Waldorf Education and the larger educational community.
- Develop new programs; review and assess current programs.
- Visit classes regularly and freely throughout the school as a supportive and engaged presence for teachers and students.
- Request or respond to a request for a meeting with individual faculty members
- Chair faculty meetings; attend section meetings on a rotating basis - Chair professional development committee to ensure that the teacher mentoring program is strong and teacher evaluations are completed on time and followed up appropriately.
- Work with Educational Support Coordinator and Student Support Committee to ensure that individual student accommodations are implemented. - Assist faculty with concerns and questions regarding specific students or families.
- Support faculty in creating inspiring and informative parent evenings. - Ensure healthy and sufficient communication and consistent reporting between teachers and parents.
- Chair faculty hiring committee.
Administrative and Board Work
- Attend Leadership Council meetings and work closely with the Administrative Director to create the agenda.
- Attend Board meetings, (as a non-voting member)
- Collaborate with the Admissions Director on pedagogical concerns that arise in the enrollment process.
- Collaborate with the Administrative Director and Board Chair to respond to serious pedagogical concerns or crises involving students, parents, and/or faculty.
- Inform the Administrative Director of any parent who has expressed serious concerns about the work of the school, or who may be considering leaving the school.
- Support coordination of grant monies for pedagogical programs or hires. - Review and advise Administration on program and personnel expenses as they relate to pedagogical matters.
- Collaborate and support Annual and 5-year Strategic Plan; goals and progress.
- Support Parent Association in the development of a dynamic adult learning environment, healthy communication, and robust community building. - Be alert and responsive to parent concerns, and work proactively with faculty and/or Leadership Council, as appropriate, to support the resolution of those concerns.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 letters of reference to email@example.com.
Your application has been successfully submitted.