High School Substitute Teacher
Title: High School Substitute Teacher
Reports to: High School Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
When Needed: 2022 – 2023 Academic Year
FTE: Hourly Part-time, Academic Year
Seattle Waldorf School is seeking an experienced, engaging, and compassionate substitute teacher. We are looking for someone who can work effectively as part of a team and independently. We need a leader who understands best practices in teaching, who is interested in collaborative and multidisciplinary approaches, and who is passionate about teaching students in grade school classroom settings. We are looking for staff and faculty who share our belief that a culturally rich and inclusive school community provides students with the best possible environment for a quality education.
Who We Are:
At Seattle Waldorf School, students become creative problem-solvers—imaginative thinkers who journey toward intellectual excellence, human compassion, and artistic skill. Our modern curriculum is rooted in tradition—for children 18 months to 18 years. We lead students on a joyful journey that fosters critical thinking, synthesis, and creativity. We are privileged to employ some of the most highly trained Waldorf teachers in the country. Founded in Seattle in 1980, we are the only Preschool–Grade 12 Waldorf School in Washington. At Seattle Waldorf School we are committed to creating a community that is inclusive for all faculty, staff, families, and students, especially those who have been impacted by racism and oppression, and to create a culture that supports racial equity by changing our existing systems and practices.
Our Mission: Daily we strive to inspire learning, courage, and joy in the developing human being.
Job Summary: Under minimal supervision, provides an optimal classroom experience for students in high school classroom settings.
- Plans and conducts classroom activities that provide individual developmental experiences for students
- Performs classroom teaching duties
- Responsible for the health, safety, and personal welfare of assigned students
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college or university preferred
- Waldorf Teaching Certificate preferred
- 3+ years’ experience teaching in a classroom environment preferred
- Advanced degree and State Teacher Certificate preferred
- Experience in a Waldorf school preferred
- Culturally Responsive Teaching experience preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Commitment to excellence in teaching
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a hands-on team environment
- Possessing a level of cultural competency necessary for working with a diverse population in an inclusive and equitable community
- We have a diverse student body, and we want all our teachers to have the skills necessary to ensure that their classrooms are safe, inclusive places for everyone
- We seek a teacher who is aware of the racial, socio-economic, gender, and other inequities present in education, and actively works to eliminate these in the classroom
- Ability to work efficiently in a Microsoft Windows or Mac environment using Office, Google Suite, common automated systems for record-keeping, and confidently learn new technology
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to work and communicate well with all levels of faculty and staff
- Ability to work and communicate well with students and their parents
- Flexibility, maturity, and a sense of humor
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work outside in all weather
- Ability to climb stairs
- Ability to travel locally (field trips)
If that sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Hourly Pay Rate: $24 for assistant positions, $28 for lead positions
Benefits: Seattle Paid Sick and Safe Leave and commuter benefits available
To Apply: Interested candidates should respond immediately by email to email@example.com with a letter of interest, resume, and employment application, available on the school website at: http://www.seattlewaldorf.org/careers/
Thank you for your interest in Seattle Waldorf School and this position. Position open until filled. No phone calls or drop-ins, please.