- Reports to: Head of School
- Full-Time Staff, yearly position (12 months)
- Administrative position
- Salary range 60,000 to $85,000, commensurate with experience
- Benefits include medical and dental health insurance coverage, retirement, flexible spending and Transit benefit, where applicable.
About the Brooklyn Waldorf School (BWS)
The Brooklyn Waldorf School is a vibrant and dynamic school nestled in the heart of Bedford-Stuyvesant. The Brooklyn Waldorf School provides an education that meets the needs of each student in a developmentally appropriate manner, integrating critical thinking, emotional intelligence and a deep connection to the arts through the curriculum founded by Rudolf Steiner. Through leading a balanced and well-rounded school life, students are expected to understand themselves as agents of change in an ever-evolving world.
Our faculty hails from all over the world and includes both seasoned Waldorf teachers and those new to Waldorf education. Serving over 160 students from pre-K to grade 8, teachers typically remain with a class through multiple grades, forming deep relationships over time. BWS teachers care for their students as whole individuals and provide not only for their academic development, but also for their emotional intelligence, artistic capacities, and physical knowledge of their surrounding environment. Teachers develop their own classroom content through active engagement with curricular resources prepared by our Faculty Council and reflect our local urban environment and community values.
The Brooklyn Waldorf School was founded in 2005 by a body of parents and Waldorf graduates who sought a nurturing space within the city where their children could discover and explore their inner potential. As the school community grew, classes expanded to include Parent-Child, Early Childhood, Elementary and Middle School.
Brooklyn Waldorf School is seeking an experienced facilities manager to work full time and be responsible for the operation, maintenance, preventative maintenance and repairs for our facility and its grounds; including plumbing, electrical, heating and all other building systems, as well as grounds maintenance and removal of snow/provide support for weather related situations. The school occupies a five story recently renovated building that was built in 1931. Technical and vocational skills are required, as well as ability to work well and communicate effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with a diverse community of teachers, staff, students and parents.
- Administration and Management
- Manage the facility and custodial staff, direct and supervise vendors and independent contractors needed for the ongoing maintenance and emergency repairs.
- Develop work and vacation schedules for facility personnel, ensuring that the building is staffed either in-person or on-call for building or grounds emergencies at all times.
- Communicate with faculty and staff when facility emergencies or urgencies impact the work of the school.
- Planning and Compliance
- Develop, implement, and monitor an effective grounds maintenance program to ensure that the grounds are attractive and safe.
- Work cooperatively and communicate effectively with the Early Childhood, Lower School, Middle School, and Gym/Activities faculty for the preparation of facilities for school activities, including occasional weekend events.
- Develop a custodial services plan that outlines the tasks and expectations for our cleaning service crew, and in-house facility staff, that outlines detailed daily and periodic schedules for cleaning of the facilities, including stocking cleaning and sanitary supplies.
- Develop and implement a multi-year comprehensive deferred maintenance plan that is both corrective and preventative for the upkeep of the building and grounds and the major facilities systems (HVAC, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and structural) for the school. Identify mechanical and structural deficiencies, recommend and supervise their repair or replacement.
- Carry out fire and safety drills
- Oversee campus safety to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local codes and regulations.
- Serve as a member of the Safety and Security Committee, and Emergency Response Team
- Develop and manages the facility operating budget as well as capital equipment and project budgets in coordination with Business Manager
- Building Maintenance
- Conduct regular inspections of all school facilities, grounds and equipment to ensure the high standard for cleanliness, attractiveness and safety are maintained.
- Supervise and direct snow removal and ice control activities so that safe conditions exist and the school can be opened in a timely manner,
- Create inventory and storage map for all campus maintenance equipment and tools that are available to other staff and appropriate parent volunteers (i.e. clean up projects).
- Confer and coordinate with school administrators on maintenance, repair, operational, safety and security needs as well as in the planning of renovations, alteration, major repair work, and new construction.
- Have working knowledge of all building mechanical, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, safety, fire protection and security systems to ensure proper operations at all times, including all required compliance certifications.
- Be willing to work in a variety of areas inside and outside of the building year-round.
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction codes, health and safety codes, environmental laws, rules and regulations affecting the operation and maintenance of school buildings, grounds and facilities. Knowledge of budgeting for cost management planning and purchasing.
- Preference for competency in Spanish.
- Have a two-year College or technical school degree or a minimum of five years related experience and/or training: Supervision of fire alarm systems; Fire Guard for Impairment, Consolidated fire safety director, in particular.
- Communicate effectively, clearly, and respectfully with teachers, vendors, staff and visitors.
- Have a positive attitude and enjoy working around children
- Use a computer for report writing, ordering, developing safety plans.
- Carry out the physical requirements that come with this job: walking up and down stairs, carrying heavy loads, etc.
The Facilities Manager will comply and keep up-to-date with school policies and is accountable to the Head of School. The Facilities Manager will be reviewed after the first 90 days and annually.
Brooklyn Waldorf School is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for its students, visitors, faculty, and staff, and to ensuring that educational and employment decisions are based on an individual’s abilities and qualifications. BWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender (which includes a person’s actual or perceived sex, as well as gender identity and expression), age, marital status, disability, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, familial status, predisposing genetic characteristics, actual or perceived domestic violence victim status, unemployment status, caregiver status or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law, in carrying on its educational activities or in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, employment policies, financial aid programs, and athletic and other school-administered programs. People of color and other historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please fill out the following application: https://fs6.formsite.com/tbws/form142/index.html
Your application has been successfully submitted.