Grade One Class Teacher
The Halton Waldorf School is seeking a full-time Grade One Class Teacher starting August 2023.
The Grade One Teacher is a full-time member of the faculty responsible for carrying a class of up to 24 students. You will be well supported by an innovative and vibrant faculty, financial support for professional development, and a strong mentoring program. The Grade One Teacher is responsible in the following key areas:
- Teaching main lesson, painting, music, games, and possibility other subjects
- Ensuring that all areas of the curriculum are met
- Lesson preparation and instruction
- Participation in curriculum and pedagogical review of the curriculum and benchmarks
- Planning and participating in all outings and class trips that support the curriculum,
- Planning and celebrating appropriate festivals and directing student plays that support the curriculum
- May be required to teach lessons in other classes
Student Support and Assessment
- Monitoring and observing each student’s academic, emotional, and social progress on an on-going basis
- Reporting to parents regularly through written reports and parent teacher conferences
- Liaising with colleagues and other professionals to address individual children’s needs
- Contributing to pedagogical child study as part of the faculty
- Planning and conducting regular parent evenings to help facilitate a more thorough understanding of the Waldorf curriculum and child development
- Responding to parent questions and concerns in a timely manner
- Attending and actively participating in pedagogical faculty meetings (Thursday evenings until 3:55pm-6pm) and PD days
- Cultivating an ongoing understanding of child development, Waldorf pedagogy and anthroposophy
- Attending summer curriculum courses
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Successful experience as a class teacher
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent education and experience
- Waldorf Teacher Education certification (completed or in-progress)
- A deep understanding of child development
- An interest in Anthroposophy / Waldorf Education
- Experience in bringing the curriculum in an artistic manner
- Willingness to work with a mentor as needed
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with building and maintaining healthy relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Willingness to work with and mentor a teaching assistant
- Willingness and proven ability to work within a community environment
About Our School:
The Halton Waldorf School provides students with a place to grow intellectually, artistically, and socially. Founded in 1984, we are an independent, accredited Waldorf School serving students and their families from birth to high school. Our high school offers an Ontario Ministry of Education Graduation Diploma which enables University and College entrance along with our Waldorf Diploma in Grade 12.
Every day our faculty and administration serve a vibrant and diverse community of over two hundred students and their families. Located on five forested acres in northeast Burlington, close to the natural wonders of the Niagara Escarpment and the shores of Lake Ontario. We are committed providing a healthy, beautiful sustainable environment that supports the pedagogical mission of the school.
Criminal Record Check:
The successful candidate must provide a satisfactory Criminal Record Check that includes a Vulnerable Sector Screening prior to commencing employment
Commitment to Equity:
The Halton Waldorf School is committed to equitable hiring practices. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
To be considered for this position, please send an intention letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Grade One Teacher” in the subject line.
Application deadline – March 3, 2023. We appreciate the interest of all applicants but will only be contacting candidates whose skills, experience and qualifications meet the requirements of the position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.