Board Member (Volunteer)
CALL FOR BOARD APPLICATIONS
Waldorf Academy is looking for new members to join the Board of Directors. Potential new board members will draw on a range of experience, qualities, talents and a keen interest to contribute to the vitality and well-being of the school. In addition to the experience and education of potential new board members, Waldorf Academy values dedication, patience, thoughtfulness, energy, diversity and collaboration.
Waldorf Academy operates as a not-for-profit, charitable organization within the province of Ontario. Its Board of Directors is accountable to the school’s Members of Corporation, comprised of faculty, primary class reps, members of the Community Council and various other individuals.
The Board’s tasks:
· overseeing the ongoing success and viability of the school subject to legal requirements;
· Working with the community to create and ensure implementation of long term strategic planning
· on occasion, offering resources and assistance to school leaders in areas of finance, marketing, human relations or other ad hoc issues;
· policy creation;
· ongoing evaluation of its direct hires (School and Childcare Centre Director) including related legal and personnel issues; and,
· liaising with faculty members and Community Council.
Responsibilities of a Waldorf Academy Board Member are:
· First and foremost, the well-being of the school as a whole;
· A 3-year commitment;
· Identifying and disclosing real or perceived conflicts of interest;
· Attendance at Board meetings held once per month and potentially, the occasional leadership meeting;
· Voting on motions at Board meetings;
· Being a member or Chair of a board committee or committees, which meet at least monthly outside of Board meetings;
· Ensuring the financial health of the organization;
· Ensuring effective leadership of the organization;
· Ensuring compliance of the school leadership with relevant legal and health parameters;
· Partnering with other school groups, including Community Council and managers, to offer support where helpful and necessary; and,
· Exhibiting dedication, patience and perseverance.
Waldorf Academy is looking for board members with experience or knowledge in any one of a variety of areas:
Child Care Operations
Health & Safety
Ideal skills and attributes of high-performing board members include:
· The ability to work on a team
· Conflict management
· Discretion and confidentiality
· Intuition and sensitivity
· Emotional and social awareness
· Enthusiasm for the organisation, its philosophy and employees
· An appreciative and constructive approach
Waldorf Academy values diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to ensure all individuals within our community thrive by seeing themselves reflected, respected, and valued at our school and in all levels of society. We are committed to rejecting systems of oppression, prejudice and marginalization in all its forms. We embrace the words of Rudolf Steiner:
A healthy social life is found only when, in the mirror of each soul, the whole community finds its reflection, and when, in the whole community, the virtue of each one is living.
We welcome all applicants with respect to gender expression, sexual orientation, family constellation, race, ethnicity, national origin, religious heritage, dominant language or socio-economic background.
To ensure a strong board team, the Nominations Committee will also consider among members and potential members, the balance of qualifications, experience and interpersonal abilities and the proportion of independent directors (e.g., directors with no direct ties to the school).
The Nominations Committee comprises three members: one from the current Board of Directors, the Faculty, and Community Council respectively, as per our bylaws.
The Nominations Committee receives and reviews applications and conducts one interview per applicant. The Nominations Committee makes recommendations to the Board of Directors, which then seeks approval from the Members of the Corporation at the Annual General Meeting in the autumn of the school year. Following is the usual schedule:
· March 31st: Deadline for submitting applications from interested candidates;
· Throughout February and March: Interviews are conducted with interested applicants;
· End of March (or earlier): The slate of Board member recommendations is made to the Board of Directors;
· End of April (or earlier): Members of Corporation vote on proposed Board slate.
If you are interested in applying to be a Waldorf Academy Board Member, please send an up-to-date resume and letter of introduction identifying your reasons for applying, the classes your children are in if applicable, the diversity you might add to the Board, and other relevant information.
Submissions can be emailed directly to the attention of the Nominations Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
The 2022/2023 Nominations Committee
Katherine Fulford, Faculty
Consuelo de la Vega, Parent
Rami Bazzi, Board Member
Your application has been successfully submitted.