Summerfield Waldorf School & Farm
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Summerfield Waldorf School and Farm is looking for a full-time groundskeeper who will serve under the direction of the facilities manager. The successful candidate will have three to five years of grounds keeping experience. The hourly rate is $25-35, depending on experience. Compensation also includes a generous benefits package.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs general grounds maintenance work including but not limited to watering and mowing lawns, weed eating grounds, planting, pruning, weeding and blowing.
- Management of poison oak and tree care.
- Blows and sweeps sidewalks, parking lots and other assigned areas.
- Maintains athletic fields and prepares them for events.
- Operates and maintains mowers, weed eaters, electric cart and other equipment used in the care of grounds to ensure they are available and in a safe condition when needed.
- Maintain Grounds Maintenance Office and storage of tools and equipment in an organized fashion.
- Make tools available for student use and be available to consult with teachers on various student projects.
- May drive a school vehicle for other tasks as needed and as assigned.
- Inspect mower for safe and proper operation. Arrange for repairs and regular service as needed.
- Monitor campus for necessary grounds maintenance work to assure safety, resolve problems or notify others as appropriate.
- Maintain routine records of work orders, equipment repair and maintenance, and chemical applications.
- Repair sprinkler and irrigation pipes, as well as controllers and timers.
- Respond to emergency calls outside of normal work hours.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Methods, materials and equipment used in the care of school grounds.
- Basic grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking and weeding.
- Safe work procedures in the operation of hand and power tools and equipment.
- Cultivating, fertilizing and watering of flowers, trees, shrubs, grass, etc.
- Knowledge of organic herbicides used in grounds maintenance, controlling pests, insects and weeds (Summerfield is certified Bio-Dynamic – no chemicals may be used on campus).
- Operation and maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in grounds keeping.
- Read and understand Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Safe and defensive driving practices and methods.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Utilize independent judgement in performing grounds maintenance and activities.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Indoor/outdoor environment subject to changing conditions and temperatures exceeding 90 degrees at times
- Regular exposures to fumes, dust, dirt, oil/grease, odors, heights and loud noises.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Working on ladders at varying heights.
- Direct contact with the public, students, faculty and staff.
- Working with or around machinery with moving parts.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of custodial and grounds equipment.
- Standing and walking for extended periods of time.
- Clarity of vision at varying distances to perform custodial and grounds duties.
- Verbal, auditory, and written capabilities to effectively communicate in an articulate manner.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling object(s) weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Occasional bending, kneeling and crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
- Working with chemicals, tools and powered machinery.
- Previous landscaping and irrigation experience.
- Ability and willingness to take direction.
- Ability and willingness to learn to use special tools.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
To apply: Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Coordinator, at email@example.com. Please also include three professional references (with phone numbers).
About Summerfield Waldorf School & Farm
Summerfield spans all of childhood, preschool through twelfth grade. Sprawling over 38 acres, we have one of the most extensive Waldorf programs on the continent including a fully operational Biodynamic farm and a vibrant circus program. We make every effort to educate the whole child in practical arts, movement, agriculture, social inclusion, artistic work, and a rich festival life.
The school (est. 1974) is located in beautiful Sonoma County, just 60 miles north of San Francisco. We enjoy an idyllic Mediterranean climate with spring-time fields of wildflowers, hot summers cooled by ocean fog, rich autumn light on vibrant harvest colors, and wet, green winters. Sonoma County is home to ancient redwood forests, stands of mighty oak, and scenic, rugged coastlines. Picturesque orchards, vineyards, and dairies abound. Many of our hills and mountains are still truly wild and offer hikers and bikers miles of trails to explore. Sonoma County has also become a haven for food enthusiasts, offering some of the best restaurants and wines in the world. Many local farmers are using organic and Biodynamic methods, with their bounties found in our markets and restaurants. This is the setting our students and families enjoy!
Your application has been successfully submitted.