Certificated Class Teacher - Grade 1/2 Combo
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Certificated Class Teacher Positions Available: Grade 1 and Grade 2
Full job description at https://www.shadecanyon.org/employment.
Who We Are:
Shade Canyon School is a brand-new public charter school based on the principles of Public Waldorf education and located in beautiful Kelseyville, California. The school will open in September 2023 on a leased site, currently under development, with grades TK-2, adding one grade per year up to Grade 8. Nestled at the base of Mt. Konocti along the scenic shores of Californiaʼs largest freshwater lake, Kelseyville is full of small-town charm, rich agricultural heritage, wide open natural spaces, and diverse families who are excited to fill our classrooms at the second classroom-based charter in all of Lake County.
Shade Canyonʼs vision is: “We believe that by honoring simplicity, we nurture the spark of the individual and nourish a thriving community.” Our mission is to “cultivate inspired learners.”
You can learn more about our school at ShadeCanyon.org.
Summary of Position:
Shade Canyon School in Kelseyville, California, is accepting applications for one grades teaching position for the 2023-24 school year, a combination classroom for First Grade and Second Grade. This classroom will have a full-time adult assistant. The grade teacher will be a founding faculty member helping to shape Shade Canyon’s school culture. As the heart of Shade Canyon’s educational program, our teachers’ mission is to provide each student with a caring and stimulating learning environment that will cultivate emotional intelligence and enable each child to reach their fullest academic potential.
Our whole-child curriculum is based on the integration of practical and artistic activities, and embedded state standards for literacy, social studies, science, and math through storytelling, drama, poetry, singing, movement, and outdoor activities. Using this pedagogy, teachers are expected to prepare and deliver instructional materials and lesson plans, instruct and monitor students, and evaluate and document student progress.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a class of up to 28 students
- Teach state standards using current best educational practices as informed by the principles of Public Waldorf education
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, governing bodies, and administration to grow and develop Shade Canyon
- Engage in the creation of Shade Canyon School’s curriculum and policies to realize our school’s mission and contribute to our local community
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
We seek candidates who have high academic standards, the knowledge, skills, and enthusiasm to engage students of all temperaments and ability levels, and the interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with colleagues, administration, and parents. Strong skills in art, nature-based education, music, and/or drama are highly desired for faculty positions.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of Waldorf pedagogy, will bring this approach to life in the classroom, and will have strong classroom management skills that use positive discipline techniques when necessary. Prospective employees of Shade Canyon School are committed to the ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Have or be eligible for a California Teaching Credential for self-contained classroom
- (Multiple Subject)
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience at the K-8 level
- Waldorf certification preferred or desire to enroll in a Waldorf certification program as part of Shade Canyon employee benefit package
- Experience in teaching at Waldorf schools at multiple grade levels and/or nature-based education settings highly desired
- Local to Lake County preferred
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform assigned duties, including lifting thirty (30) pounds on an occasional basis and in excess of thirty (30) pounds with assistance for a distance of up to 25 feet.
- Fingerprint Check and Criminal Records Clearance
- Clear TB test
- Reference Check
- CPR and FirstAid Certificate
Direct report to: School Administrator
Compensation and Benefits:
Shade Canyon's benefits package includes a competitive salary ($59,000-$65,000), paid sick leave, medical benefits, California STRS retirement plan, and the opportunity to participate in a 403(b) plan. Students of employees receive admission preference. Number of workdays: 195
To Apply, Submit the Following:
- CA State Teaching Credential, and/or Waldorf Certification, where applicable
- A minimum of three letters of recommendation written within the last 12 months which support your application for the vacant position
- Current resumé
- Letter of introduction explaining why you are qualified for this position. Include any information that you feel will help the screening committee get to know you during the paper screening process
- Application materials should be submitted to Savannah Mitchell, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications will be reviewed and rated by a screening committee
- Persons selected for an interview will be contacted
- Position will remain open until filled
Shade Canyon School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Shade Canyon School that no applicant, client and/or employee of the school shall, on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, ethnic/ national origin, political affiliation, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), disability, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, or age (40 or older) be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity which SCS operates. This policy applies to every aspect of employment, advancement, transfer, demotion, lay-off, termination, rate of pay and selection for training.