Specialty Teacher: Multiple Positions Available
Full job description at https://www.shadecanyon.org/employment.
Who We Are:
Shade Canyon School is a brand-new public charter school based on the principles of Public Waldorf education and located in beautiful Kelseyville, California. The school will open in September 2023 on a leased site, currently under development, with grades TK-2, adding one grade per year up to Grade 8. Nestled at the base of Mt. Konocti along the scenic shores of Californiaʼs largest freshwater lake, Kelseyville is full of small-town charm, rich agricultural heritage, wide open natural spaces, and diverse families who are excited to fill our classrooms at the second classroom-based charter in all of Lake County.
Shade Canyonʼs vision is: “We believe that by honoring simplicity, we nurture the spark of the individual and nourish a thriving community.” Our mission is to “cultivate inspired learners.”
You can learn more about our school at ShadeCanyon.org.
Summary of Position:
Shade Canyon School is seeking specialty teachers to join our founding faculty for our opening school year 2023-2024. We are seeking candidates who are interested in a part-time position in one of the following. Alternatively, a teacher who can instruct multiple specialty subjects would qualify for a full-time position.
- Spanish language
- Local indigenous language and cultural practices
- Handwork (knitting, crocheting, sewing, etc)
- Games and movement
- Substitute teaching
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach lessons to classes of 28 students or less (1st and 2nd grade) for a minimum of two hours a week, depending on your specialty/ties
- Manage the class using positive discipline techniques, as needed
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to inspire and nurture the students of Shade Canyon
- Engage in the creation of Shade Canyon School’s curriculum and policies regarding your specialty subject/s to realize our school’s mission and contribute to our local community
- Be committed to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Understanding of Waldorf education or desire and willingness to learn
- 1+ years experience teaching
- Experience in a Waldorf school is highly desired
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Valid CA Teaching Credential preferred
- Substitute Teachers are required to have a 30-Day Substitute Permit or Teaching Credential
Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform assigned duties, including lifting thirty (30) pounds on an occasional basis and in excess of thirty (30) pounds with assistance for a distance of up to 25 feet.
- Fingerprint Check and Criminal Records Clearance
- Clear TB test
- Reference Check
- CPR and FirstAid Certificate
Reports Directly to:
Compensation and Benefits:
Shade Canyon's benefits package includes a $15.50/hour wage (extra compensation will be given for substitute teachers), health benefits for full-time employees, the opportunity to participate in a 403(b) plan for employees working over 20 hours weekly, Waldorf pedagogy professional development opportunities, and allocated time for lesson planning. Students of employees receive admission preference. Number of workdays: 35-70 per specialty
To Apply, Submit the Following:
- A minimum of two letters of recommendation written within the last 12 months which support your application for the vacant position
- Current resume
- Letter of introduction explaining why you are qualified for this position. Include any information that you feel will help the screening committee get to know you during the paper screening process
- Application materials should be submitted to Savannah Mitchell, email@example.com
- Applications will be reviewed and rated by a screening committee
- Persons selected for an interview will be contacted
- Positions will remain open until filled
Shade Canyon School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Shade Canyon School that no applicant, client and/or employee of the school shall, on the basis of race, color, religion/creed, ethnic/ national origin, political affiliation, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), disability, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, or age (40 or older) be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity which SCS operates. This policy applies to every aspect of employment, advancement, transfer, demotion, lay-off, termination, rate of pay and selection for training.
Your application has been successfully submitted.