Class Teachers (Grades 1-5)
Homeroom Teachers: Grades One - Five
Commencing August 2023
Join Our Community at Waldorf Academy!
Located in downtown Toronto at the foot of Casa Loma (250 Madison Avenue), Waldorf Academy was founded in 1987 by a collective of families determined to provide quality Waldorf curriculum and programming for their children and the community. Our campus houses a Childcare Centre and Grade School with programs from Kindergarten through Grade Eight.
We offer a learning environment that is stimulating, nurturing, and creative. Our proven alternative education model prepares children academically and emotionally at their age and stage of development. Please find more about Waldorf Academy’s community and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice here.
Summary of Duties:
This position is responsible for the compliance and delivery of the Waldorf® grade school curriculum and method. This includes:
● Planning, preparation and implementation of lessons, report cards, and parent evenings
● Planning and coordinating of special events
● Attending faculty, mentoring, and committee meetings
● Participation in ad hoc committees and professional development
● Liaising with the administration, faculty, and parents
Responsibilities and competencies will include, but are not limited to:
Lesson Planning, Creativity and Delivery:
● Conduct lessons and supervise students on site and on day and overnight trips
● Create and deliver a program which may also provide snacks, academic assistance, arts and cultural activities that promote inclusion, and health and wellness (e.g. anti-bullying, body image, fostering resilience)
● Utilize knowledge of the Waldorf approach to develop content and lesson planning
● Ensure the safety and well-being of each child by responding to their emotional, social, and physical needs as well as their educational needs
● Manage student behaviour based on Well Managed Schools(™)
● Communicate with the parents and answer parents’ questions or concerns
● Prepare and conduct regular parent evenings and parent-teacher conferences
● Participate in the interview process for prospective students
Leadership, Interpersonal and Relationship Building Skills:
● Collaboratively work with faculty and mentor colleagues based on experience level
● Maintain a positive relationship with parents
● Respect cultural and social differences, and allow for different parenting styles and values
● Keep the relationship between parents and self on a professional level
● Maintain a professional self-image and project the values of the organization at all times
● Prepare and participate in assemblies and festivals
● Participate in school community and public relations events (e.g. open house)
● Participate on school committees
● Participate (and share in cost of) approved annual professional development
● May be required to work in various temperatures within the facility and outdoors
● Generally, the job requires 50% sitting, 5% walking, and 45% standing
● Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, and pull
Qualifications and Skill Required:
● Waldorf Teacher Certificate and/or Bachelor of Education (Ontario)
● Minimum three years paid experience in an accredited primary school
● First Aid and CPR certification is up-to-date or willing to obtain
● Cleared Vulnerable Sector Check
● Be flexible and adaptable to new situations
● Ability to use good judgment, self management, and effective problem-solving skills
$42,000 to $65,000
Medical, dental, tuition remission for dependents
How to Apply:
Closing date for applications: March 30, 2023
Interview dates: April 2023
Please send your resume, cover letter describing your knowledge of Waldorf Education®, a brief biography, and three references (with contact information) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Hiring Committee.
Please state “Class Teacher” Application in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their submissions; however, we will only contact candidates we feel are the best suited for this position.
Your application has been successfully submitted.