We are looking for a founding director / lead teacher for a vibrant, creative, mixed-age early childhood learning center for 2-5 years olds on the California coast in the Sea Ranch / Gualala area. We are looking for candidates who are interested in designing a learning environment and developing a play-based curriculum that prioritizes a love of learning, creative problem-solving, outdoor exploration, social-emotional learning, and fun. Located in a rural setting, the school would be well integrated with the outdoors and foster an appreciation and understanding of the natural environment.
In its inaugural year, The Forager School will serve 6-12 children, and the director will be supported by an assistant. Our ideal candidate is passionate about early childhood education, loves children, takes inspiration from the Reggio Emilia, Waldorf, and Montessori approaches, and is excited to design a curriculum that encourages children to be active participants in their own education.
Come join our beautiful community on the coast!
- Role: Director / Lead Teacher for a Preschool on the Sonoma Coast
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Salary: $60k+, depending on experience and background
- Benefits: Sick days, paid holidays, relocation assistance, health insurance subsidy, housing subsidy, professional development budget to support career growth (conferences, workshops, skills training, etc.)
- Location: Gualala, California
- Start Date: July 2023
- Design daily activities and field trips that are fun and educational in a manner suitable for the ages and developmental maturity of all participating students
- Have familiarity with various teaching methods that can adapt to children’s interests and learning styles
- Address social-emotional and interpersonal skills, such as sharing, self-awareness, self-confidence, emotional intelligence, and relationship skills
- Oversee nap and meal times, and supervise children to ensure they are safe at all times
- Maintain an open line of communication with parents and provide constructive feedback on a regular or as-needed basis
- Manage administrative responsibilities relating to childcare licensing
- Work with diverse populations of children and adults from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Mindful of Covid-19 guidelines and establishing handwashing and cleaning routines
- Qualified to serve as a California Childcare Center Director with at least three semester or equivalent quarter units in administration or staff relations (these could be secured through online coursework prior to employment start date). Candidates must also meet one of the four education and experience requirements:
- (1) HS or GED; 15 semester/quarter equivalent units at an accredited or approved college or university and four years of teaching experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program;
- (2) Associate’s degree with a major or emphasis in early childhood education or child development; and at least two years of teaching experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program;
- (3) BA with a focus on early childhood education or child development; and at least one year of teaching experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program; or
- (4) A Child Development Site Supervisor Permit or a Child Development Program Director Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Covid-19 Vaccine and booster shots required
- Submit to a criminal background check upon hire