First Grade Teacher
JOB TITLE: First Grade Teacher (Full Time)
We are seeking a full-time trained elementary school class teacher for the 2023-24 program year for our Waldorf Enrichment Center. Our roots are in Waldorf Education and we value those who are Waldorf trained but are also open to meeting those that may bring other teaching experiences and talents. We are looking for those with an avid commitment to growing their Waldorf teaching careers as well as those that deeply enjoy educating children in the outdoors.
We offer the amazing benefit of being located in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Truckee, CA. We are surrounding by the beautiful big bold outdoors with opportunities for backpacking, skiing, mountain biking, camping, swimming and boating activities and beyond. Come and play in the wilderness with us! Our Waldorf programs have been rooted in Truckee since 2015 and we are looking for teachers who are interested in helping to grow our program in to the future!
The right individual will be responsible for teaching age-appropriate core subjects with creativity and imagination, all while striving for an equitable and inclusive classroom. There's nothing like starting with a First Grade class and carrying forward with the same group of children through 8th grade! We are looking for candidates with a strong commitment to looping with their class. Wild River invites you to begin a new journey leading our rising First Grade class!
Job Purpose Statement: A Grades Teacher is responsible for providing a comprehensive education program for homeschool students in a manner that nurtures and guides them according to the needs of each individual child, the family and the community as a whole while supporting the vision & mission of Wild River.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher)
- Certificate of Waldorf Teacher Training Completion highly preferred.
- Prior Waldorf teaching experience preferred.
- A deep commitment to Waldorf principles and interest in self-development.
- Willingness to loop grades 1 - 8.
- Ability, willingness and excitement to teach outside.
- U.S. work visa, if necessary.
- Highly competitive and guaranteed Base Salary
- Pay: $64,000.00 - $80,000.00 per year
- Health Insurance: Medical, Dental and Vision with 50% premium cost covered by Wild River
- Paid Time off
- Discretionary bonuses
- Professional development stipend
- Retirement plan offering
- 5 PTO days, 5 sick days
- 178 work days (172 student days + 6 in-service days) 8 hour/day
- We are looking for teachers with an avid interest in growing in their Waldorf teaching careers! Wild River is committed to upholding the tradition of Waldorf education through the wisdom and knowledge of Waldorf principles, in addition to practices in equity and inclusion.
- Instruct students in reading and language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, health, physical education, art and music based on a Waldorf methods curriculum and incorporates the attainment of the California Common Core Standards
- Create lively, interactive lesson plans.
- Understand the model of child development that underlies the Waldorf curriculum and provide a level of instruction based on each student’s reasonable achievement potential by drawing on and valuing individual backgrounds, interest, temperaments, development of social skills and artistic preparation, through lesson preparation and classroom management.
- Commit to each student individually, throughout their time at Wild River.
- Ability to provide for the children a conscious model of responsible behavior that together with loving authority and discipline, conveys to them a living sense of respect, reverence, and gratitude.
- Promote self-directed, reflective learning for all students by engaging students in problem solving, critical thinking and other activities that make subject matter meaningful.
- Establish and articulate goals for student learning though the designing and implementing of both short and long term classroom projects.
- Continue on the path of self-development and be willing to adapt teaching methods to meet the needs of the students. Be enthusiastic about learning and commit to continuing professional development.
- Maintain a beautiful classroom space
- Have a strong sense of community and shared mission
- Clearly communicate with students, colleagues, and parents
- Be willing to collaborate with colleagues and parents to ensure student progress
- Attend weekly faculty meetings, scheduled in-service days, student success (SSTs) teams, I.E.P. meetings, community festivals and other events where the teacher’s attendance is required (ie plays, assemblies, field trips).
- Help organize fieldtrips, group meet-ups, and events that help foster community within their group of students and the larger Wild River Community.
- See our full job listing HERE
Experience Required: 2+ years working with elementary age children in an educational setting. Waldorf experience, training or Certificate desirable.
Education Required: BA plus a California teaching credential, or a degree in Education.
Skills: Use correct english in both written and verbal form, use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation, remain calm and focused under pressure, work effectively unsupervised, keep errors to a minimum and efficiency to a maximum. Must have good communication skills with parents, students and staff. Willingness to work in outdoor settings.
Knowledge of rules, regulations, policies and laws applicable to educating homeschool students. Knowledge of therapy and behavior intervention strategies, child development, counseling and consultation methods, outdoor education and a variety of class management and educational strategies required.
Ability to sit for prolonged periods, work independently, understand and carry out oral and written instructions. Ability to interact with persons of different age groups and cultural backgrounds. Ability to manage stressful situations with employees and community groups. Significant physical abilities include reaching / handling / fingering for handwork / talking / listening, near visual acuity/visual accommodation.
- Frequent: Walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling
- Occasional: Climbing, running, jumping
- Maximum Weights: Lift 50 lbs. Carry 25 lbs.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required: Hold a valid California Teaching Credential or its equivalent. Waldorf Certification preferred. Must have a valid Driver’s License and evidence of insurability, Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance, TB Clearance. A First Aid and CPR, WFR or First Responder Certificate are highly desirable.
Please send the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Letter of intent addressing why you wish to be employed at Wild River
- Short biography providing further insights about you and your teaching experience
- Three professional references
Thank you for your interested in working with Wild River!