[Priority Listing] Assistant Principal
Assistant Principal of the Waldorf Program
Assists and supports the Executive Director in accomplishing his/her responsibilities to support excellent academic achievement within Heartwood Charter School’s Bothin Waldorf -inspired program.
The Assistant Principal is responsible for the administration and outcome of all aspects of educational activities at Heartwood Charter School’s Bothin Resource Center. The Assistant Principal will work collaboratively with other team members, provide leadership with staff, parents, and the community, and serve as a liaison to the educational and parent community. The Assistant Principal must be able to assist the Executive Director in translating the needs of special population students to deliver an effective and well-organized educational program.
The Assistant Principal responsibilities include:
- Developing a strong understanding of Heartwood’s educational streams, pedagogy and curricula.
- Developing a strong willingness to integrate into Heartwood’s culture of support and collaboration.
- Assists in coordinating academic achievement testing for Resource Center students, and evaluation towards the improvement of the educational program at the school.
- Assists with all educational activities of the Resource Center, providing structure, schedule and support for all educational activities at Resource Center, including development of school calendar, bell schedule and site logistics.
- Assists with Resource Center facilities management, including site move-in, move-out, repairs and special events.
- Assists the Executive Director in the supervision and evaluation of all regular and substitute certificated personnel and classified personnel assigned to the school.
- Assists the Executive Director in interpreting curriculum to students, parents, and members of the community.
- Maintaining communication with the Executive Director relating to problems, concerns, activities and achievements of students, staff and site.
- Maintains communication between students, staff and the parent community, and develops strong connections between students, parents and the school.
- Managing the process of academic reporting and recording, including grade reports, transcripts, permanent records, progress reports, parent-teacher conferences, and academic recognition.
- Coordinate assessments including, but not limited to, state mandated standardized tests and other academic achievement tests.
- Conferring with pupils (and their parents) who exhibit severe academic, social, or emotional problems that adversely affect optimum educational development.
- Working with students, parents, community, and government agencies on problems relating to school attendance, behaviors, truancy and substance abuse.
- Supervising the attendance of students and notifies parents and other agencies of attendance problems when necessary.
- Assists with disciplinary action and suspensions.
- Assists with faculty break schedules and recess supervision.
- Ensuring that teachers receive adequate and appropriate educational materials.
- Serving as a member of the management staff.
- Assuming administrative and supervisory responsibilities of the school in the absence of the Director when designated to do so.
- Assists with student activity programs that improve student performance and achievement.
- Planning and supporting school events and field trips.
- Performing other duties as directed by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience
- Charter school experience preferred, and Waldorf curriculum experience preferred
- Clear California multi-subject teaching credential, Single Subject English Credential, English Learner authorization or Administrative Services Credential preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience working with parents and schools in a similar school community
- Commitment to the success of all students and the Heartwood mission, vision, and values
- Experience in facilitating effective professional development & leading and managing a team
To apply for this position, send the documents listed below to:
- Cover letter of introduction
- Biographical sketch
- Three references