Learning Support Extra Lesson Teacher
Summerfield Waldorf School is seeking a Learning Support Extra Lesson teacher or tutor to work collaboratively with the faculty, administration and the Education Support Committee known as the Care Group to provide extra lesson assessments and supportive activities for the healthy development of individual students and classes. Additionally, to envision and develop the learning support program for years to come.
Duties may include:
- Conducting Student Assessments, and providing written reports and meetings for parents as needed
- Providing individual remedial lessons at school, and meeting with teachers to share “carry over” ideas for the classroom.
- Conducting ongoing individual Extra Lesson assessments as requested by teachers through a process with the Care Group, for students showing needs
- Participation with the Care Group in making recommendations for additional (non-academic) ongoing support for any student or class in need
- Conducting classroom observations as requested by teachers through the Care Group
- Supporting teachers in bringing classroom movement, circle games and Extra Lesson drawing & painting activities that support social and physical development, as well as classroom learning
- Supporting teachers at parent meetings where learning or behavior may be impacted by developmental gaps in sensory or reflex integration.
- Clearly articulating the Extra Lesson work and its inherent and unique value to healthy childhood development as part of a robust Waldorf education
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) or Master’s degree or equivalent from four-year college or university
- At least three years of teaching experience
- Skills for building collaborative relationships with parents and colleagues including excellent verbal and written communication skills, cultural competence, and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of professional engagement.
- Certified in Waldorf’s Extra Lesson Remedial Program
- Trained in special education, including reading and interpreting neuropsychological and psychoeducational assessments
- Broad experience in the field of special education and alternative therapeutic support options
- Waldorf teaching experience
This is a full time exempt position. The salary range is $57,000-$70,000 plus excellent benefits.
Please email your letter of intention and resume to Michelle Bovard, Human Resources Manager at email@example.com. Please also include three professional references (with phone numbers), at least two of whom have seen you teach.
The School (est. 1974) is located in beautiful Sonoma County, just 60 miles north of San Francisco. We enjoy an idyllic Mediterranean climate with springtime fields of wildflowers, hot summers cooled by ocean fog, autumn light falling on harvest colors, and wet, green winters. Sonoma County is home to ancient redwood forests, stands of mighty oak, and scenic, rugged coastlines.
Picturesque orchards, vineyards, and dairies abound. Many of our hills and mountains are still truly wild and offer hikers and bikers miles of trails to explore. Sonoma County has also become a haven for food enthusiasts, offering some of the best restaurants and wines in the world. Many local farmers are using organic and Biodynamic methods, with their bounties found in our markets and restaurants. This is the setting our students and families enjoy!
Physical Requirements for Employees at SWSF:
Summerfield is both a school and farm. Though we do have paved pathways between various buildings, many pathways are unpaved and rough. Some have steep inclines and declines, steps and holes.
- Employees must have the ability to:
- Navigate uneven terrain for extended periods of time and significant lengths
- Sit for extended periods of time
- Use a computer for extended periods of time
- Squat, stoop and/or bend over
- Reach overhead, grasp, push/pull up to 35 pounds for short distances
- Lift and carry up to 45 lbs. at waist height for short distances