Eurythmy Teacher for winter Eurythmy blocks
Swallowtail Waldorf School & Farm is seeking a Eurythmy teacher to hold full time Eurythmy blocks with 1st through 8th grade, from mid-November 2023 through February 2024. Swallowtail School previously had a full time Eurythmy program that was paused during COVID. This year the students enjoyed one block of Eurythmy and we are working our way back to a full program by offering winter blocks next year, with a goal to hire a full time Eurythmist for the 2024-25 school year.
Swallowtail Waldorf School & Farm serves students from Preschool through 8th Grade. We are located in the heart of Washington County where forest and farmland meet the Portland suburbs. Our main campus is located on 6 acres of open field and mature trees and our school building features large, thoughtfully designed classrooms with ample storage. We have a dedicated Eurythmy room which is filled with natural light reflecting upon beautiful lazure painted walls. Our students visit our farm property once a week in the fall and spring, and have a deep connection to the natural world. We enjoy an incredibly supportive parent community and have a cohesive, collaborative group of faculty and staff. We are fortunate to be located close to Portland, with a strong anthroposophical community and the opportunity to practice Eurythmy and perform, yet we are far enough outside of the city to be located in a beautiful rural area.
The Eurythmy teacher is responsible for developing a rich, age-appropriate eurythmy program, based on the indications of Rudolf Steiner. The teacher we seek will hold each class and each child in a heart space where all feel welcome and valued - a confident educator who is able to balance strong classroom management with a warm and joyful approach to the discipline of Eurythmy.
The Eurythmy Teacher provides leadership through the facilitation of eurythmy throughout the school and is an essential part of the collegial team. Our Eurythmy teacher will ideally create performance opportunities for students and provide educational opportunities for parents, faculty, and staff. Like all faculty and staff at Swallowtail School, our new Eurythmy teacher will value collaborative work with colleagues, self-reflection for personal growth, and hold an openness to new ideas.
We invite interested candidates to apply and are seeking individuals who possess:
- A dedication to Waldorf Education
- Eurythmy Teaching Certification
- At least one year of classroom teaching experience
- A love of children and a deep desire to support their growth
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Willingness to be part of a culture that values professional growth and ongoing positive and constructive feedback
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The desire and ability to work collaboratively with all members of the school community
- The ability to adapt the curriculum to the skills and needs of a class or individual child
- A value for Biodynamic Farming and land based education
- Prolonged periods of standing and frequent bending
- Kneel, stoop, crouch, or crawl.
- Ability to walk and/or run at a pace to keep up with children 6-14 years old.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 50 pounds at a time.
Swallowtail School is an associate member of AWSNA and WECAN. Salary is based on education and experience. To apply, please send a letter of intent, resume, and three references to Shannon Hallberg at Shallberg@SwallowtailSchool.org