[Priority Listing] 5th Grade Teacher
We are seeking an experienced Waldorf teacher to shepherd our current 4th graders from their 5th through 8th grade. This class has a supportive parent group and students who eagerly participate in the curriculum and have close social bonds with one another. They particularly enjoy physical work (building, planting, animal care, etc) and projects that utilize their creative capacities, and they can work well as a cohesive team. They can focus for longer periods of quiet classroom work as well, and are skilled storytellers. They will be well met by a teacher who will challenge them, and who enjoys theater and creative writing, hands-on exploration, and time spent outdoors.
Swallowtail Waldorf School & Farm serves students from Preschool through 8th Grade. We are located in the heart of Washington County where forest and farmland meet the Portland suburbs. Our main campus is located on 6 acres of open field and mature trees and our school building features large, thoughtfully designed classrooms with ample storage. Our farm property includes sustainable agriculture plots as well as native forest, meadow, and variable wetland areas within the McKay Creek basin of Hillsboro, OR.
Specific duties for the Grades Class Teacher position include:
- Develop class curriculum incorporating
- An anthroposophical understanding of the developmental needs of the students
- Our shared commitment to bringing greater diversity, equity, and inclusion to Waldorf Education
- Swallowtail grade-level benchmarks and recent assessments or observations, to build capacities and ensure academic growth
- Ensure a beautiful and well-kept classroom
- Maintain a healthy classroom atmosphere of respect and attention
- Assess the growth and development of students in the program, communicating proactively with parents and Student Support Coordinator if a student is in need of extra support
- Evaluate daily work and provide ongoing feedback and guidance to students
- In 5th grade an above - complete written block reports at the termination of each block
- A dedication to Waldorf Education
- Waldorf Grades Teaching Certification (or Masters in Education with Waldorf training in process)
- At least one year of classroom teaching experience
- A love of children and a deep desire to support their growth
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Willingness to be part of a culture that values professional growth and ongoing positive and constructive feedback.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- The desire and ability to work collaboratively with all members of the school community
- The ability to adapt the curriculum to the skills and needs of a class or individual child
- Prolonged periods of standing and walking (up to 2 miles/day) outdoors in all weather..
- Kneel, stoop, crouch, or crawl.
- Ability to walk and/or run at a pace to keep up with children 6-14 years old.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, or carry up to 50 pounds at a time.
Swallowtail School is an associate member of AWSNA and WECAN. Salary is based on education and experience and includes dental/vision and full remission for all dependents. To apply, please send a letter of intent, resume, and three references to Shannon Hallberg at Shallberg@SwallowtailSchool.org